IGNORED

Lab or Golden?

Always been a Brittany guy, but my brother got a red Golden thru a rescue, that later came under my care. I was between Brittany's, and in a small gun club. I took this dog out and even though I'm sure it never heard a gun shot, it became a wonderful close working pheasant dog. She was smart, gentle, and just wanted to please. Wish I had her now in my old age instead of the high energy monster I'm saddled with. If I were to look for a golden now, it would be only a red from hunting stock, not one of those over bred dumb Blonds.  I'm friends with a trainer and competitive trialer  with 40 years experience and would only think about a Lab for what you ask.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, Wayne Trojanowski said:

Good evening,

I am in the process of looking to get and train my first gun dog. I am a waterfowler hunting anything from bogs, ponds, and tidal rivers. I'm trying to narrow it down between a lab and golden retriever. I've hunted with labs before so I tend to lean that way, but I am also looking for a good family pet when I am not hunting. I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

One thing to consider - parasite inspection.  My lab has short hair and shes white - versus a golden who's has that long thing coat. Would be 'easier' to spot a tick or something i feel. Dog breed aside - its all on the owner. So as long as you're determined youll have a good hunting dog!  Idk if mine will but we train like it everyday.