IGNORED

Anybody go to any game preserve yet?

JD48

43 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

If you are willing to wait til the pheasant season opens, you can purchase two pheasants and four chukars for about a third of $150. Release them yourself and hunt them up. Thats what I do.

Nice

53 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

If you are willing to wait til the pheasant season opens, you can purchase two pheasants and four chukars for about a third of $150. Release them yourself and hunt them up. Thats what I do.

If you wait till the season opens you can get 2 pheasant and 4 quail everyday for almost 2 months for one time fee $40 

This is my favorite time of year to work a young started  dog. All the cover is thick and 6 feet high they’ll learn a lot like not to be path hunters also they’ll bust a few just don’t shoot them. And up the road the dog will figure it out. Then the following year he’ll find everyone’s left overs

1 hour ago, Bones said:

If you wait till the season opens you can get 2 pheasant and 4 quail everyday for almost 2 months for one time fee $40 

But training is easier n more controlled at places like bent creek or stocking on your own.  I've been training stocking my own but like bent creek to mix it up so the pup is not following my scent to the birds

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

But training is easier n more controlled at places like bent creek or stocking on your own.  I've been training stocking my own but like bent creek to mix it up so the pup is not following my scent to the birds

If your training buy quail and a starter pistol or cap gun.

no need to pay $50 a pheasant 

I’m on my 4th dog all hunted and hunt darn good never worried about them following my sent. If your not using a launcher the birds will run and hide from where you tucked them away anyhow.

I use the toss approach quail don’t go that far.

Edited by Bones

13 minutes ago, Bones said:

If your training buy quail and a starter pistol or cap gun.

no need to pay $50 a pheasant 

I’m on my 4th dog all hunted and hunt darn good never worried about them following my sent. If your not using a launcher the birds will run and hide from where you tucked them away anyhow.

I use the toss approach quail don’t go that far.

She's more than started I was using chukar twords tge end of last season mixing in pheasants.  Didn't have to many go to far from where they were tucked.  Never used a starter pistol brought her with me hunting before I started actual training to get used to gun shots

Her at 5 months old

Edited by vdep217

5 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

whas thinking of doing that.. where you buy them ? 

1 hour ago, Bones said:

I have two pens 

1 for Chukar and one for quail I use quail for training and Chukar when the state stops stocking but the season is still open.

buy them at a discount when they’re juvenile in bulk.

2345AE6A-51F7-4039-8438-7126059C36A9.jpeg

FCF8769D-C2B8-4308-97C1-24C0D0F4B9B6.jpeg

FA592EFB-4FD1-4ACA-B79A-56696BCDDC9A.jpeg

nice