IGNORED

Tree stand vs Saddle

I have hunted from a saddle. In the past I was a Lone Wolf hand climber guy. Eventually sold that and built up a mobile set up with a Lone Wolf assault and hawk heliums. From there I transitioned over to a Cruzr saddle and a Trophyline platform. Saddle hunting is a great set up/tool. There are places I love it and places I prefer my mobile set up. 

I did have to try 3-4 saddles before I found the one that was actually comfortable for me. Now I even wear my saddle when using my Assault mobile set up. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

24 minutes ago, Daniel23 said:

Ive been always using a climbing tree stand, no complaints. But has anyone hunted from a Saddle stand? If so which is better? Pros and cons of both?   

I used a climber for years still do in certain situations.  3 seasons ago I bought helium sticks added aiders to 2 of them  and an x stand expedition total weight is around 18 lbs around what most climbers weigh.  I find my self grabbing the stand and sticks as it's very packable and easy to set up.  I can put it in any tree I can use my climber and trees that the climber can't. Mind you my climber is 11 lbs( x stand sitnclimb) it has its use in hard woods but I find myself using the mobile more and more.  As for the saddle I wouldn't because getting a shot on your shooting hand side might prove impossible trying to turn around  the tree without making noise.

Saddle very stealth ,Takes some time to get use too . You will either love or hate it but give a chance great tool . Climber or hang on stands still have there place and are great tools also . I prefer the hang on or ladders because I can leave them out there so its right up and in . Climber or saddle when I use to bounce around . Still use summit climber from time to time no more saddle to old. 

20 hours ago, Daniel23 said:

Ive been always using a climbing tree stand, no complaints. But has anyone hunted from a Saddle stand? If so which is better? Pros and cons of both?   

I LOVE my Summit climber and I'm glad i bought it when i did because its way more expensive than what i paid for it. Anyways, i've had the same curiousity. AS much as i love my climber , i still find it heavy after trekking thru the woods/snow. I leave a stand up in another area i hunt locked up but I'm interested in saddle hunting. Ive watched numerous YouTubes on it and I'd say definitely an advantage in stealth and mobility. 

A con would be in the beginning- I imagine setting up with a saddle will take a little longer tying your gear up as you climb versus climbing a tree with a climber i can get up in just a couple minutes and dsettled.

33 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I LOVE my Summit climber and I'm glad i bought it when i did because its way more expensive than what i paid for it. Anyways, i've had the same curiousity. AS much as i love my climber , i still find it heavy after trekking thru the woods/snow. I leave a stand up in another area i hunt locked up but I'm interested in saddle hunting. Ive watched numerous YouTubes on it and I'd say definitely an advantage in stealth and mobility. 

A con would be in the beginning- I imagine setting up with a saddle will take a little longer tying your gear up as you climb versus climbing a tree with a climber i can get up in just a couple minutes and dsettled.

Look into sticks and portable set up.  Or a lighter climber.  My xstand sitnclimb is just under 12 lbs

On 8/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, vdep217 said:

Look into sticks and portable set up.  Or a lighter climber.  My xstand sitnclimb is just under 12 lbs

Honestly i think it more has to do with the extra poundage i carry around the midsection :laughing: but ive been looking into sticks - definitely intrigued

the one thing i will say for either mobile stand or saddle is that you need to be judicious  with properly setting your sticks and being thorough in your process.

I've fallen twice from one stick up...once while paying more attention to a buck and once picking a smooth bark tree to set a cam. Lesson learned.

They will kick out on you if your careless. 

2 hours ago, megavites said:

the one thing i will say for either mobile stand or saddle is that you need to be judicious  with properly setting your sticks and being thorough in your process.

I've fallen twice from one stick up...once while paying more attention to a buck and once picking a smooth bark tree to set a cam. Lesson learned.

They will kick out on you if your careless. 

Glad you didn't get seriously hurt. I've had my fair share of climbers and smooth bark trees,gravity is a thing.Ouch m/f :banghead:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I used a climber for years. Last year changed to saddle and love it. Took about to figure how to get comfortable but now I love it. I really like to mobility , weight for long walks into the woods and love how you can use the tree for cover. Have had many old does and even nice bucks for all right under without knowing I was there. I say give a try for a year or two. Even small trees can help hide you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, hostak126 said:

I have a little bit of virtgo so no stands for me haha, I just use a ground blind

I also have vertigo and a doctor told me about a good quick fix which is when it starts immediately focus your eyes on a fixed object and it stops right away, try it, it works for me 100% of the time maybe it will work for you.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL