IGNORED

Happy Birthday Fred Bear

electricstart

My Dad was my hero growing up, Fred Bear was a close second. Wish I had kept the catalogs I had from the '60s, pretty sure I had the 67 1/2 issue.....all I wanted for my 15th birthday, 1971, was to go see The Fred Bear movie....the hunts those guys went on in the far north were legendary, amazing what they did with the gear they had compared to what's available now.

I do occasionally honor Fred by killing something with his crowning achievement, the Fred Bear Takedown, and one of his Razorhead broadheads that I bought when I was 16......not the biggest or the most mature of bucks, but I'm proud of it!

017.JPG

without me, my rifle is nothing

13 minutes ago, TDietz said:

My Dad was my hero growing up, Fred Bear was a close second. Wish I had kept the catalogs I had from the '60s, pretty sure I had the 67 1/2 issue.....all I wanted for my 15th birthday, 1971, was to go see The Fred Bear movie....the hunts those guys went on in the far north were legendary, amazing what they did with the gear they had compared to what's available now.

I do occasionally honor Fred by killing something with his crowning achievement, the Fred Bear Takedown, and one of his Razorhead broadheads that I bought when I was 16......not the biggest or the most mature of bucks, but I'm proud of it!

017.JPG

Anything with stick and string is a Trophy . 

I started recurve bow hunting when I was about 18. Took target archery in College and took up hunting with it. No one else I knew did it. Never killed a deer with it because the first compound bow came out a few years later. You have to admit, what Bear accomplished with a recurve bow is amazing. Not to mention the limitations of all other equipment available to  him. Clothes, boots, arrows, broadheads were nothing compared to what we have now. It all adds to potential success. But what he had was the "best" available/state of the art at the time so he didn't know that he was at a severe disadvantage. He knew the limitations of it and did what he had to do to kill animals within those limitations. I would be curious to know Fred's exact bow setup to see what kind of KE he was generating. I would guess he was generating around 65 lbs of KE. This is the minimum amount that is considered necessary to kill North American game. The trajectory on such an arrow would be -26" at 30 yds compared to -10" with a modern crossbow that generates 140 lbs of KE. We all seek to use the "best" equipment that we can to efficiently kill game. So the chasing of speed continues not to mention range finding scopes. All to kill a deer at average distances of about 25 yds.  Makes you wonder when "enough is enough". 

Edited by archer36

On 3/5/2022 at 3:01 PM, 308federal said:

725700578_FREDBEAR.JPG.e8c347ba8710f3d92d4865ce64686ad8.JPG

On 3/6/2022 at 2:27 AM, hunterbob1 said:

Hey I stood in front of that bear too.1993. My pics are buried in a box somewhere.Also Goliath at space farms. You were young and good looking then Mark like me.

ca1836c43499bdf0ccde2e9837dc8811.jpg

I came from a non-hunting family. Reading Fred Bear's stuff stirred something inside of me, and I got me into hunting.