IGNORED

Where to start

Jmr1272

Hello all,

looking to get started bowhunting this year and have been doing a lot of research on gear and all of that. Gear seems like the easy part once you start thinking of where to hunt. I’m in Somerset county, very close to The Great Swamp Wildlife refuge which does allow deer hunting. Wondering if anyone has tried hunting here or can point me in a better direction of where to start scouting. 

any tips are greatly appreciated 

thanks

4538EEF9-6CEB-4107-A061-D7EC5B128678.jpeg

No bowhunting in great swamp.  Swamp is only open for a limited gun hunt by lottery.  I would look into WMA properties which there are a few down near you.  Also look into township and county run hunts on municipal/ county owned lands.  There is a ton of land to hunt but the swamp is not one of them.  Most public land is listed in the hunting compendium.  Warning many areas got hit pretty hard with EHD disease severely affecting the deer populations in areas by you.

Here is a link to the Division website listing public lands for deer hunting. It should help. Don’t be afraid to ask friends, family and co-workers for access to hunt their properties where you could legally and safely. 

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/huntland.htm

17 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

No bowhunting in great swamp.  Swamp is only open for a limited gun hunt by lottery.  I would look into WMA properties which there are a few down near you.  Also look into township and county run hunts on municipal/ county owned lands.  There is a ton of land to hunt but the swamp is not one of them.  Most public land is listed in the hunting compendium.  Warning many areas got hit pretty hard with EHD disease severely affecting the deer populations in areas by you.

Thanks a bunch. Been looking at Clinton WMA as well, maybe I’ll go that route. Hopefully I can find some deer still around without EHD

There is plenty of wma land that is off the beaten path, I don't hunt it but have found a few parcel that don't seem to get much pressure, if I didn't have private land I would be all over it. Scout, scout and scout some more if you  cant figure them out then use bait as your last resort, way less challenging but its effective when done right

Edited by bucky

2 minutes ago, Jmr1272 said:

This is an awesome resource. Thanks!!

You're welcome and welcome to W&W lot's of good people here with a wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your pursuit for that elusive whitetail have fun and be safe 👍

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, bucky said:

There is plenty of wma land that is off the beaten path, I don't hunt it but have found a few parcel that don't seem to get much pressure, if I didn't have private land I would be all over it. Scout, scout and scout some more if you  cant figure them out then use bait as your last resort, way less challenging but its effective when done right

Just started looking at some other parcels of CWMA on ONX. Looks pretty promising. How early on do you suggest scouting?

4 minutes ago, Jmr1272 said:

Just started looking at some other parcels of CWMA on ONX. Looks pretty promising. How early on do you suggest scouting?

Never too early to start. Deers habitats change throughout the year but you can get an idea now from old rubs and trails. As it gets closer to season you want to concentrate on food sources. Once the rut starts than you may want to concentrate on doe bedding areas. If you look now you may find where you want to be next winter bow?

9 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Never too early to start. Deers habitats change throughout the year but you can get an idea now from old rubs and trails. As it gets closer to season you want to concentrate on food sources. Once the rut starts than you may want to concentrate on doe bedding areas. If you look now you may find where you want to be next winter bow?

That’s kinda what I figured gonna start pretty soon then. Appreciate the help!

7 hours ago, Jmr1272 said:

Hello all,

looking to get started bowhunting this year and have been doing a lot of research on gear and all of that. Gear seems like the easy part once you start thinking of where to hunt. I’m in Somerset county, very close to The Great Swamp Wildlife refuge which does allow deer hunting. Wondering if anyone has tried hunting here or can point me in a better direction of where to start scouting. 

any tips are greatly appreciated 

thanks

4538EEF9-6CEB-4107-A061-D7EC5B128678.jpeg

Right now is a great time to scout. Everything is more visible right now than any other time of the year. Much easier to follow trails, find beds, find where deer winter up together. They are all puzzle pieces and takes experience (time spent in the woods hunting and non hunting) and additional scouting to put the entire puzzle together to be successful consistently.

Since I'm leaving NJ, try to fill my spot in Montgomery Twp's (Somerset Co) deer mgmt program. They give out around 105 permits per year. Kill 2 antlerless and fill out year end survey, you'll get grandfathered in every year. Township got a walk-in box for donations behind City Hall too. Call Township to ask about 2022 application deadline...