IGNORED

Want to hunt pheasants ( next year ) have questions

electricstart

What do you need to get started in Pheasant hunting . I did many years ago with no dog almost got shot at black river so quit . I did get a couple birds. I do shoot  skeet once in  a while . I know this will be for next year . I do have an auto and a pump 12 gauge with different choke tubes . Do I  need a Dog ? Is  a over and under  a better choice in guns ? Need a reason to buy one. I do Like to shoot skeet . I am a member of Shongum gun  club and live by black river so have places to practice.  and not to far from Whittingham. I have no dog ,(German shepherds)  I do have license and know you need stamp .  .Any suggestions  will be appreciated . 

14 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

I should also add 12 is overkill. 20-28 is better and tears game up less. Regarding the chokes bear in mind type shot (hardness)and wad can vary pattern. Just because something says mod for instance doesn’t mean it throws mod pattern. It can be adjusted. 

What shells and what choke  and how do you adjust .I do have IC  but only in  12 gauge . I know lead and steel shot change the choke . I can borrow 20 from my son. 

24 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

You need a stamp if you hunt state land or a club that releases. You don’t need a dog but you’re not likely to be as successful. 
As far as guns, any gun will work. I’d say about ic is correct, mod is ok, skeet if over a point dog. 
O/U are the easiest to be safe with. You cross a creek, gun is open, shells out, cross, drop back in and close. With anything else it’s more problematic and guys tend to “just be careful”. Not good enough. Just being safe is. 
I typically don’t even load guns at all until the point but if you had a flusher or no dog you’d have to be loaded. that sibver pigeon for many

What dog do you recommend , Over and under been wanting  silver pigeon for long time .. What size barrel . Might have to sell house expensive. 

You are asking a lot of questions. A lot is a matter of opinion and a lot is personal preference. If you only hunt the mornings of stocking days you don't need or probably don't want a dog. You will get game without one. If you want to hunt off peak times, you would benefit from using a dog.  My preference is a Pointing Breed. All of them are good but some work better in heavy cover. In extremely heavy cover, a Springer Spaniel is a good choice but must work close.  As far as firearms, my preference is a double barrel of some sort. You are usually shooting at a bird flying away from you (especially if you have a dog). You will benefit from using a more open choke on the first shot and a tighter choke on the second. You can use anything from 7.5 to 6 shot. I never used anything smaller than 20 ga. If you use a semi or pump, you can mix up your shell types to compensate for having only one choke. Use a low brass on the first shot and high brass on second and third out of a modified choke. You can get some good action on off days in WMA's if you want to spend a little time hunting. If that's not possible, a hunting club with a Semi-wild Permit is your only other choice as Pheasants and most other game birds do not exist in the wilds of NJ much any more. 

Either of your 12ga with imp cyl or mod choke and #5 or #6 shot. I bought and test fired at paper 4 different #5 and 3 different #6 high brass 1&1/4oz loads to use on them should i ever buy a stamp and hunt them. I even have some high brass #7.5 😆

however the 1 i got first blood on i fired a 1oz load of #6 at it from a mod choked barrel. I may just stick with the #5 shot for pheasants.

That 1oz #6 though is my rabbit and squirrel load. It was me yesterday not the gun or shell.

A dog is good for many reasons,finding and flushing. but if you've several hunters and everyone works together you don't need it. 

Just be courteous and safe.

Do not swing and shoot over someone unless that bird is way up and they say shoot it. 

Ex: you're 2nd in the row of 9 and a bird flushes up in front of 6 or between 5 and 6 don't shoot unless it passes in front of you. I didn't say anything to the guys i witnessed doing that but next time i see it i will. If it flushes in front you,then you should get first shot(s) at it. Call me butthurt idc. Too many times that happened...flushed 10 yards in front of me i shoulder my gun safety off and BOOM BOOM someone way left or right of me shoots it. Like gee thanks 🤨😐  I get it you paid $40 like i did for that stamp,drove the same distance maybe,got up as early as i did.

and don't be the guy shooting at them at the top of the grass. Make sure there's plenty of sky between the grass and the bird.

Even if you think nobody is down or up field. 

1 hour ago, electricstart said:

What dog do you recommend , Over and under been wanting  silver pigeon for long time .. What size barrel . Might have to sell house expensive. 

Silver Pigeons are great guns for upland bird hunting. I have two. A 20 and 28 gauge both with 28 inch barrels.  If price is an issue you can consider a used one in good condition. Also there are other Beretta 686 models like the Onyx that you can find in good condition for half the price of a new Pigeon.

Just now, OldPiney Woods said:

Silver Pigeons are great guns for upland bird hunting. I have two. A 20 and 28 gauge both with 28 inch barrels.  If price is an issue you can consider a used one in good condition. Also there are other Beretta 686 models like the Onyx that you can find in good condition for half the price of a new Pigeon.

I have been wanting one for a long  long time . Which new  model do you recommend ? I thought 686 was a good choice .  I will not buy used not that gun anyway .I am a Benelli guy but that berretta pigeon  has been time tested . Thank You

Electricstart - 

You may want to go up to Hudson Farms and visit the Griffin and Howe shop.  They should have a wide selection of quality shotguns for you to look at.  Years ago they included a gun fitting with the price of the purchase.  I suspect they still do...and I would not hesitate to buy a used weapon from them.  They are gunsmiths and gunmakers.

I hunted state grounds for many years without incident.  I always had a pointing dog.  My fiream of choice was a 20 ga. with open chokes, since shots over a pointing dog are typically relatively close.  Ammo choice was, and still is a 1 oz. load of#6's for pheasant.   With a dog you can get up late, get to the grounds at 10 AM and actually have a nice hunt...pretty much having the place to yourself and a few other folks with dogs.  

You can hunt and be successful without a dog, but it will generally require hitting the cover , which can be hard on your clothing and skin.   

A dog is a large commitment, because they are with you, 24/7 for the entire year...AND... they require training to be effective hunting partners, which takes time and effort.   Sooooo, if you don't have the time or desire to work with a dog, think hard about getting one.  Bird hunting season is  relatively short and a dog can be expensive and a fair bit of work.  

RayG

35 minutes ago, electricstart said:

I have been wanting one for a long  long time . Which new  model do you recommend ? I thought 686 was a good choice .  I will not buy used not that gun anyway .I am a Benelli guy but that berretta pigeon  has been time tested . Thank You

I would not write off used 686 models. I have found some in almost new used condition that were priced a lot less than new. If you insist on new the least expensive hunting model is the Silver Pigeon 1. That is what the two I have are. Mechanically that model is basically  the same as more expensive models with the differences  mostly cosmetic.