IGNORED

Want to hunt pheasants ( next year ) have questions

electricstart

4 minutes ago, Raygubernat said:

Electricstart - 

You may want to go up to Hudson Farms and visit the Griffin and Howe shop.  They should have a wide selection of quality shotguns for you to look at.  Years ago they included a gun fitting with the price of the purchase.  I suspect they still do...and I would not hesitate to buy a used weapon from them.  They are gunsmiths and gunmakers.

I hunted state grounds for many years without incident.  I always had a pointing dog.  My fiream of choice was a 20 ga. with open chokes, since shots over a pointing dog are typically relatively close.  Ammo choice was, and still is a 1 oz. load of#6's for pheasant.   With a dog you can get up late, get to the grounds at 10 AM and actually have a nice hunt...pretty much having the place to yourself and a few other folks with dogs.  

You can hunt and be successful without a dog, but it will generally require hitting the cover , which can be hard on your clothing and skin.   

A dog is a large commitment, because they are with you, 24/7 for the entire year...AND... they require training to be effective hunting partners, which takes time and effort.   Sooooo, if you don't have the time or desire to work with a dog, think hard about getting one.  Bird hunting season is  relatively short and a dog can be expensive and a fair bit of work.  

RayG

I agree with everything RayG said. I have hunted WMAs with a dog for many years. Also I have bought new and used guns from Griffin and Howe. They are a great place to do business.

1 hour ago, Raygubernat said:

Electricstart - 

You may want to go up to Hudson Farms and visit the Griffin and Howe shop.  They should have a wide selection of quality shotguns for you to look at.  Years ago they included a gun fitting with the price of the purchase.  I suspect they still do...and I would not hesitate to buy a used weapon from them.  They are gunsmiths and gunmakers.

I hunted state grounds for many years without incident.  I always had a pointing dog.  My fiream of choice was a 20 ga. with open chokes, since shots over a pointing dog are typically relatively close.  Ammo choice was, and still is a 1 oz. load of#6's for pheasant.   With a dog you can get up late, get to the grounds at 10 AM and actually have a nice hunt...pretty much having the place to yourself and a few other folks with dogs.  

You can hunt and be successful without a dog, but it will generally require hitting the cover , which can be hard on your clothing and skin.   

A dog is a large commitment, because they are with you, 24/7 for the entire year...AND... they require training to be effective hunting partners, which takes time and effort.   Sooooo, if you don't have the time or desire to work with a dog, think hard about getting one.  Bird hunting season is  relatively short and a dog can be expensive and a fair bit of work.  

RayG

Thank You Ray I forgot about Hudson farms not to far from me either . As far as a dog I have had  dogs all my life .Trained a few German shepherds I know its different . I do realize the commitment though .  

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I would not write off used 686 models. I have found some in almost new used condition that were priced a lot less than new. If you insist on new the least expensive hunting model is the Silver Pigeon 1. That is what the two I have are. Mechanically that model is basically  the same as more expensive models with the differences  mostly cosmetic.

If I do this It  will new Silver Pigeon 1 . Wanted it for many years . Had one in my hands a month ago almost and should have bought it then . Gorgeous Gun . 

1 hour ago, electricstart said:

Thank You Ray I forgot about Hudson farms not to far from me either . As far as a dog I have had  dogs all my life .Trained a few German shepherds I know its different . I do realize the commitment though .  

If I do this It  will new Silver Pigeon 1 . Wanted it for many years . Had one in my hands a month ago almost and should have bought it then . Gorgeous Gun . 

I had wanted a Beretta O/U since I was a teenager some 50 years ago. It was many years before I could justify buying one. Now I have 5. Here are my two Pigeons.

9CC9F022-E731-4E50-B71B-EF29DAD0CECB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I had wanted a Beretta O/U since I was a teenager some 50 years ago. It was many years before I could justify buying one. Now I have 5. Here are my two Pigeons.

9CC9F022-E731-4E50-B71B-EF29DAD0CECB.jpeg

I don’t know if your right or left handed but keep in mind out of the factory berettas have a lot of cast witch is fine for most right hand shooters. Me being a left handed shooter can’t hit the side of a barn with one. My two favorite guns two carry in the birds fields are #1 Skb #2 ruger red label and definitely nothing larger then a 20 ga I prefer a 28. Also you can also have the stock bent on the beretta if there’s two much right hand in it I had one bent about 30 years ago think it cost me about 100.00. Probably double that today that was a gun I wish I would have held onto it was a bl-4 what a pleasure to carry

18 minutes ago, smittty said:

I don’t know if your right or left handed but keep in mind out of the factory berettas have a lot of cast witch is fine for most right hand shooters. Me being a left handed shooter can’t hit the side of a barn with one. My two favorite guns two carry in the birds fields are #1 Skb #2 ruger red label and definitely nothing larger then a 20 ga I prefer a 28. Also you can also have the stock bent on the beretta if there’s two much right hand in it I had one bent about 30 years ago think it cost me about 100.00. Probably double that today that was a gun I wish I would have held onto it was a bl-4 what a pleasure to carry

I am right handed. I have had my 5 Berettas for a number of years. No issues with shooting and hitting things. The two Pigeons are 20 and 28 gauge. The other three Berettas are two 20s and a 12. I also have a Red Label in 28 gauge. Another sweet gun.

1 minute ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I am right handed. I have had my 5 Berettas for a number of years. No issues with shooting and hitting things. The two Pigeons are 20 and 28 gauge. The other three Berettas are two 20s and a 12. I also have a Red Label in 28 gauge. Another sweet gun.

As long as you right handed there shouldn’t be an issue hitting anything. The problem is with left handed shooters like myself. There’s just to much right hand. Ruger has a lot less and Skb”s are just about NeutralNeutral

32 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Fellas if I could offer a consideration. I have a couple pigeons. I never hunt with them and hardly ever shoot them. They’re light and whippy. I hate to say this as I hate where they’re made especially in comparison to Beretta but Brownings are better guns. I commonly use a 525, 28ga. Gun is no longer made but swings awesome. All the Brownings seem to. Another consideration, the Beretta has a longer lop. If you’re not long enough it’ll never work without being cut especially once you dress for cold. Just a FYI 

I also have four Browning Citoris. Two 16 gauge, a 20 and a 12. The two 16s and the 20 are the Feather models. They are just as light as my Berettas. The lop differences for me are insignificant and not an issue for me. I prefer a light gun for upland bird hunting. Furthermore I consider the Berettas and Browning of equal quality just somewhat different styles. Its all just a matter of personal preference.

3 hours ago, electricstart said:

I know long gone setters has a few or one good breeding coming up but he has a few real nice puppy’s that will be ready in a few weeks you would have to speak up quickly if you were to want one as they won’t last. If you were to get one of them pups from them. I would be willing to train it for you for free.  Just cost you for expenses fuel pretty much I have plenty of birds. There gonna be some good dogs think about it. I’m trying not to buy one but it’s hard be much easier spending someone else’s money 

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Should be against the law for one guy to own that many fine guns

• 4 months later...

Lots of good advice so far from other posts.  Echoing some main points: If you want a more serene hunting experience, show up after 10 AM and avoid the orange army.  Double barrel over pumps just for the variable choke on follow up shots.  Shooting clays will absolutely keep you sharp.  I know my season takes a nose dive when I don't practice in the off season.  Black River is much improved from years ago, but stocking has to match demand. 

I hunted my entire childhood without a dog and can tell you it was frustrating.  First thing I did after I bought my first house with a yard was buy a Brittany from Quail Hollow (Steve DelRossi).  Best decision ever.  Turned me from a casual bird hunter to exclusively birds.  The bond between dog and hunter is something the is truly indescribable.  When your four legged partner looks at you and reads your mind before making a move into cover or when she brings you back that hen she just chased for 200 yards that you dropped for her, its something you can't write about, you have to be about it.

The greatest benefit I had was coming in contact with an older hunter who was willing to guide me on dogs.  He was retired and had all the time in the world to share all that he knew with me.  I will be doing the same when I am there.  

Keep asking questions and maybe check out trying to find a veteran hunter ready to take you under his wing. (Pun absolutely intended)