IGNORED

Advice: Best 5.56 round for Deer

WVAhunter08

Heading to West Virginia for the yearly rifle Opener. I’ll have my dads trusty browning 30-06 BAR on opening morning but I’d really like to crack a doe with my AR while I’m down there. Anyone have any experience with a quality 5.56 Round for deer? I shoot winchester power points for the 30-06 

Appreciate any input. Thanks 

.556 is not a caliber for deer.  Will it work sure but not a round I would willingly use.  It is a varmint round.. Unless you reload you are not finding a 75 or 80 or 85 grain bullet right now. And even with them it's still not the best choice.  On top of that your twist rate in your barrel is probly not fast enough to stabilize the heavier round not giving you the best performance.   Stick with the 06.

Edited by vdep217

56 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

.556 is not a caliber for deer.  Will it work sure but not a round I would willingly use.  It is a varmint round.. Unless you reload you are not finding a 75 or 80 or 85 grain bullet right now. And even with them it's still not the best choice.  On top of that your twist rate in your barrel is probly not fast enough to stabilize the heavier round not giving you the best performance.   Stick with the 06.

I've known people to successfully take deer with a .223, but it's more at archery distances than rifle distances.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

223 is risky for a whitetail, especially NY North where they are built like tanks. More of a long distance chuck round. Then again within 100 yards in the lungs its a dead deer.. I'd stick with the 06. It's the round used to kill every animal in the US and has 4 times the knockdown energy at the 223. Kinda like comparing a 410 slug to a 12 GA 3inch sabot..

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve killed hogs in Texas with 5.56 hornady rounds, wondering if that might help compensate. Regardless I’m definitely reconsidering whether the ar is a good idea. Any shot I take with the ar would be within 100 yards. Would that give me a better result? 

22 minutes ago, sxs said:

RESPECT THE ANIMAL .... YOU HAVE A BETTER TOOL FOR THE JOB (30-06) 

Little harsh man, just asking what people thought. Clearly there are a range of opinions on this. I have nothing but respect for the animals I hunt, hence why I ask for advice when I’m not sure about something. Also I have personal experience hunting big game with an ar, hogs, which have a much thicker hide than a whitetail. When you use the correct rounds kills them just as quick as larger calibers so I didn’t think using them in white tails was that much of jump. 

Just now, WVAhunter08 said:

Little harsh man, just asking what people thought. Clearly there are a range of opinions on this. I have nothing but respect for the animals I hunt, hence why I ask for advice when I’m not sure about something. Also I have personal experience hunting big game with an ar, hogs, which have a much thicker hide than a whitetail. When you use the correct rounds kills them just as quick as larger calibers so I didn’t think using them in white tails was that much of jump. 

If you choose to use a .223 round and it is legal, be sure to use as heavy a bullet as possible and a hollow point. Unfortunately, it will be very hard to ammo. 

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/the-best-223-loads-for-deer/

20 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Sorry...misread. 5.56. 

Barnes Vor-tx 5.56 nato 70 grain tsx boat tail probably be best. However, finding it is unlikely.

I know I'm assuming but I'm guessing his sr twist rate is 1:9.  I could be wrong but with any thing above 60 grains he may have issues holding groups..  most ar platforms are not built for heavier bullets.  But he did say he killed hogs with it so it may be.  My next question if they were hogs or javelina

.222 used to be a very popular deer round and has significantly less energy than .223 and 5.56. Use a quality soft tip, defensive round, something heavy for caliber, and ensure precise shot placement. I believe hornady makes .223 American whitetail although i cannot find them. 

You must be 18 or older to purchase Rifle or Shotgun Ammunition and 21 or older to purchase Handgun Ammunition. By ordering this product, you certify that you are of legal age and satisfy your jurisdiction's legal requirements to purchase this product. For safety reasons, we do not accept returns on ammunition. Always make sure you use the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.

I Agree

SKU: 023918915

ITEM: 00090555380279

Academy

Outdoors

Shooting

Ammunition

Centerfire Rifle

DETAILS & SPECS

REVIEWS

Q&A

Features and Benefits

20-round box

.223 caliber

60 grains

Specifications

Hunting - Species: Hog/Predator

Number of rounds: 20

Grain weight: 60

What's in the Box

Hornady American Whitetail .223 60-Grain Centerfire Rifle Ammunition

Important Product and Safety Information

You must be 18 or older to purchase Rifle or Shotgun Ammunition and 21 or older to purchase Handgun Ammunition. In ordering this product, you certify that you are of legal age and satisfy your jurisdiction's legal requirements to purchase this product.

For safety reasons, we do not accept returns on ammunition. Always make sure you use the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.

Hornady American Whitetail .223 60-Grain Centerfire Rifle Ammunition

Out Of Stock

$2299

See all reviews

Gauge/Caliber:223 Rem

Grain Weight:60

OUT OF STOCK: GET NOTIFIED

In many of the southern states the 223 is a popular deer rifle. if you know your limitations it will work fine. I've killed several deer with a 223 using a variety of rounds. I would suggest a 60 or 62 grain soft point as an all round hunting load. Anything lighter is essentially a varmint bullet that could fragment on impact with bone and the heavier bullets are designed for target shooting. there are a couple of bonded 62 grain bullets that would be a good choice. federal fusion is one that is bonded. the other good thing with the 62 grain soft points is the are a shorter bullet so they stabilize well in 9 or even 10 twist barrels most if the time.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk