IGNORED

Emergency Kits

9CAS1

Anything in particular you guys carry when out watefowling?

along with my flares and whistles, I’m starting to put together a small list of things to have in case of emergency. Where I need to improve is on the medical kit

11 minutes ago, 9CAS1 said:

Anything in particular you guys carry when out watefowling?

along with my flares and whistles, I’m starting to put together a small list of things to have in case of emergency. Where I need to improve is on the medical kit

Dry bag with a change of clothes perfectly wool.  Waterproof matches marine radio fresh water for drinking incase stranded.  Turnaquett Israeli bandage and quick clot are good things to have.

dry bag with change of clothes is a good idea. I have spare base layers stowed in my truck - doesn't really do me any good if I get dunked out on the water :)

But get some of these : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ1NFSK -- Emergency blankets. Cheap and each packet is small, easy to stow away and forget it and hope you never need it. But if you ever are in a situation where you would need it, you will be glad you have it.

37 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

dry bag with change of clothes is a good idea. I have spare base layers stowed in my truck - doesn't really do me any good if I get dunked out on the water :)

But get some of these : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ1NFSK -- Emergency blankets. Cheap and each packet is small, easy to stow away and forget it and hope you never need it. But if you ever are in a situation where you would need it, you will be glad you have it.

Most of my bay hunting is in January its cold.   If on kyak or boat I want dry clothes and clothes that will keep u warm even if wet wich is why I choose wool.  There is an old saying "cotton kills".  No one that dosnt deel with cold would have no clue..  once wet cotton is useless for warmth and on a 20 degree day and a dunk in the bay hypothermia isn't taking long to take hold..  another thing people don't understand is that hypothermia isn't a super cold weather thing.  It can set in in 80 degree water..  most people don't plan on being on the bay over night but it could easily happen.  Stalled motor hole in boat loss of navigation etc.  Always always have at least the minimum to make it a night.  I've even went as far as having a pup tent in my bag when I hunt the marshes down by ac.  Never used it but it's piece of mind

Edited by vdep217

In addition to the quick clot, wool clothes, and emergency blankets you should throw in some Gatorade dry mix packets like these individual Gatorade packets and a few energy bars. 

You're most likely not going to be stuck in a marsh for days, but you'll probably be in shock to some degree whether it's being injured or just being suddenly stranded.  Throwing one of those Gatorade packs in a bottle of water will give you a good boost of carbohydrates (i.e. energy) and electrolytes, which are especially helpful if you are injured. 

Great advice fellas - thank you. Step 1 is for me to get a dry bag. I do keep the foil blanket packed in a tiny bag that hangs from my wader, in case I needed it it’d be on my person. 

absolutely agree on the wool clothes. Many years of camping taught me that.

will include the Gatorade packs and the medical supplies.

Think about the emergency and walk it backwards. Bleeding warmth, hydration and pain. If you cannot stop the bleeding nothing else matters. Clotting bandages, tourniquets, regular gauze bandages. Granted there are numerous types of wound adhesives out there but even Crazy glue can be used in an emergency. And of course don't forget Duct Tape....    

7 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

Think about the emergency and walk it backwards. Bleeding warmth, hydration and pain. If you cannot stop the bleeding nothing else matters. Clotting bandages, tourniquets, regular gauze bandages. Granted there are numerous types of wound adhesives out there but even Crazy glue can be used in an emergency. And of course don't forget Duct Tape....    

Crazy glue is great for superficial cuts but for an arterial bleed quick clot or tourniquet is your only fighting chance

7 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Most of my bay hunting is in January its cold.   If on kyak or boat I want dry clothes and clothes that will keep u warm even if wet wich is why I choose wool.  There is an old saying "cotton kills".  No one that dosnt deel with cold would have no clue..  once wet cotton is useless for warmth and on a 20 degree day and a dunk in the bay hypothermia isn't taking long to take hold..  another thing people don't understand is that hypothermia isn't a super cold weather thing.  It can set in in 80 degree water..  most people don't plan on being on the bay over night but it could easily happen.  Stalled motor hole in boat loss of navigation etc.  Always always have at least the minimum to make it a night.  I've even went as far as having a pup tent in my bag when I hunt the marshes down by ac.  Never used it but it's piece of mind

@vdep217 which bay do you usually hunt? 

11 hours ago, 9CAS1 said:

Great advice fellas - thank you. Step 1 is for me to get a dry bag. I do keep the foil blanket packed in a tiny bag that hangs from my wader, in case I needed it it’d be on my person. 

absolutely agree on the wool clothes. Many years of camping taught me that.

will include the Gatorade packs and the medical supplies.

I don't know if you have a Sierra near you, but I just picked up dry bags of various sizes at a good price. They are camo too.

For those of you advocating for quick clot I’m not saying it’s a bad idea but I think I think a tourniquet is probably a better option. If you’re going to have a gun related accident while waterfowl hunting it’s not like you’re going to catch a stray buck shot pellet on a deer drive and going to survive a shot to the abdomen or chest. It’s most likely going to be extremely close quarters with an accidental discharge while moving around in the boat or someone dropping their gun etc. even steel shot at that close of a range anything other than an extremity hit is pretty much a done deal. Even if you took that round in front of a trauma surgeon in a hospital you’re gone. Just reality. Now on the other side. You take that load in the thigh and a tourniquet has a real chance of improving you’re outcome by reducing blood loss. 

now that you have that TQ on and reduced risk of hypovolemic shock it’s time to break out that survival blanket and pile coats and anything else on top and equally important under the victim to prevent hypothermic shock. Trauma victims lose body temperature RAPIDLY and is their next biggest threat after you control the bleeding. And if you’re going to carry a TQ buy a good one!  Don’t be cheap and buy the least expensive one off Amazon. Do some research because you don’t want to have that thing rip while trying to put it on. Also make sure you’ve put your hands on it a few times. Know how to use it and don’t be afraid to crank down on that thing. Don’t stop tightening until the blood stops coming out.