IGNORED

Prepping for a clover trail planting around August 1st - pending rainfall

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

If you plant it they will come!  Or something like that  .  .  .  

Either way, you are doing the local wildlife a huge favor getting rid of all that stiltgrass.  

Yes, that Stiltgrass smothers everything in its path!

Troop you might want to plant a nurse crop with that clover . If it’s a perennial clover you won’t see much growth this fall . Come spring it will really take off . Maybe throw some oats down with it and then hit it again Sept/Oct with some rye .  Just a thought . Good luck 

So, I used the “no till” method to plant 1.5 acres in Branchville for the first time. 
Killed the weeds, then broadcast buckwheat seed right on the dirt, so far so good. The buckwheat has smothered out the majority of remaining weeds. 
When the buckwheat gets to 2-3’ tall (early August), I’ll broadcast brassica seeds right into the standing buckwheat, then roll the buckwheat over the seed. The rolled over buckwheat provides a mulch to keep the new seeds moist for quick germination  

This method has worked for many years for the folks from Whitetail Habitat Solutions, we’ll see how it goes in north Jersey. 

3 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Troop you might want to plant a nurse crop with that clover . If it’s a perennial clover you won’t see much growth this fall . Come spring it will really take off . Maybe throw some oats down with it and then hit it again Sept/Oct with some rye .  Just a thought . Good luck 

I just call it a clover trail planting but I will be putting down a mixed blend followed-up with winter rye in September. Thanks

16 hours ago, Rusty said:

If you plant it they will come!  Or something like that  .  .  .  

Either way, you are doing the local wildlife a huge favor getting rid of all that stiltgrass.  

That stiltgrass is absolutely terrible. My property is covered in that. Constant battle keeping it from coming onto the lawn out of the woods.  I don’t think it’s something you could ever get rid of on a property