IGNORED

“Age this” exercise.

Pathman

1 hour ago, Whitetail31 said:

Did you kill this deer and get it aged.

He didn't have to if it's a BB.  I've seen a BB in PA that was a tank, pushing older,smaller bucks out of the field.  Can't tell by just that pic. But I'm thinking young because hocks are clean, doesn't look like it lost weight rutting, it's with another young deer that isn't bothered by it's presents, and by what I mentioned in the first sentence here.  Dew claws also look small, and like I said in my first post, coat looks like a furball.

Edited by Greybeard

14 minutes ago, the truth said:

Are we ever gonna find out?!

Sorry, I know it’s sucks waiting for the reveal, but I was waiting for a few more of the regulars to take a guess, this way I don’t have to hear them after the fact wax poetic how “they knew” exactly what it was!😁

Ok here it is! Certainly not what most of you, except for a couple, expected. There was quite a range of estimates. 

In this case, it’s easy to identify as a yearling male given the antlers. So in some instances, as in this typical yearling, you can use antlers to identify an age class even if the body may indicate otherwise. If we only saw this bucks body, most would guess wrong. 
But my point in posting this is simply to show that it typically takes a combination of body characteristics and antler mass to make a fairly accurate age class estimate. 

1DCBD7CE-B244-4C5F-A782-33244230F015.jpeg