IGNORED

Tips for a New Small-Game Hunter in Bergen County

Hi all,

Just passes my hunter’s ed and, with all that’s going on in the world, am eager to get back in touch with the land and go bag some birds. But shoot, I just don’t know where to begin. 

I’d like to hunt for Turkey and Pheasant, maybe some waterfowl. I got a 12 gauge and a will to learn. I sure would appreciate if anyone in the northern parts of he state could give me some basic tips about what’s the good action up here and how to gain the skills I’ll need since I got no friends who hunt. 

Welcome and congrats on passing the hunter Ed.  I mainly bow hunt deer so can't really help you. I would suggest maybe going to a place like Thunder Mountain Skeet and Trap in Ringwood and get some experience shooting before trying to hunt. Then at some point go to a game preserve to shoot some pheasants. Best of luck.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

11 hours ago, 3Blade said:

Welcome and congrats on passing the hunter Ed.  I mainly bow hunt deer so can't really help you. I would suggest maybe going to a place like Thunder Mountain Skeet and Trap in Ringwood and get some experience shooting before trying to hunt. Then at some point go to a game preserve to shoot some pheasants. Best of luck.

Pretty darn good plan right there.

First off don't know how old you are but the Flatbrook WMA has great fields and swamps to hunt if you can drive would go during the week or on the weekend about an hour after the orange army goes through.

If you looking to duck hunt and have a boat and decoys Saw Mill Creek WMA has a variety of birds to hunt.

16 hours ago, 3Blade said:

... I would suggest maybe going to a place like Thunder Mountain Skeet and Trap in Ringwood and get some experience shooting before trying to hunt. ...

If you're a novice with a shotgun, don't be intimated at all about going to Thunder Mountain. The have a learners' area where many new shooters go ... giving you very easy targets, and some rudimentary gun mounting advice.

Work to become very handy with your shotgun, if you aren't already. It will pay off.

6 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

First off don't know how old you are but the Flatbrook WMA has great fields and swamps to hunt if you can drive would go during the week or on the weekend about an hour after the orange army goes through.

If you looking to duck hunt and have a boat and decoys Saw Mill Creek WMA has a variety of birds to hunt.

Also with the WMA pheasant hunting, you can go to where the hunters/dogs aren't. Pheasants will flee the hedgerows and other hot areas, both flying and running. You can catch them doing so, or kick them up yourself. Again ... become handy and quick with your shotgun.

Saw Mill is a very cool place for lots of reasons. The mud will swallow you. Be careful..

Good luck and have fun.

18 hours ago, 3Blade said:

Good thinking. Yeah I've got plenty of experience shooting, much less with a shotgun though. It'll no doubt be do me plenty of good to spend some time blasting clays and then getting to a game preserve.

1 hour ago, ithaca10 said:

Flatbrook is about an hour and a half away. So it's sort-of doable. Good game there? Boy I did not know there was hunting over at Saw Mill Creek. That's the spot I always pass on the way to Newark airport right? 

2 hours ago, Rooster357 said:

Good thinking. Yeah I've got plenty of experience shooting, much less with a shotgun though. It'll no doubt be do me plenty of good to spend some time blasting clays and then getting to a game preserve.

Flatbrook is about an hour and a half away. So it's sort-of doable. Good game there? Boy I did not know there was hunting over at Saw Mill Creek. That's the spot I always pass on the way to Newark airport right? 

yes but u need a boat with outboard motor. Ducks Unlimited did a show on it years ago. Nothing like shooting ducks with the skyline of NYC in the background.

Welcome. Rooster.  I would strongly suggest you check out Berkshire Valley WMA which is an easy drive from 80 to 15 N a short distance and far closer to you than the other places mentioned for pheasant.  But more importantly than distance, Berkshire Valley is not a typical field hunt, so I have always found it easier without a dog to hunt there.  Best of luck to you this season and beyond!