IGNORED

what climber do you recommend

Kype

On 3/8/2020 at 8:36 PM, tcook8296 said:

I have 2 lone wolfs and 2 vipers. 

I will sell you the vipers if you want one. 

Pm me, next time I go to my place in Illinois I will bring them back. 

If this is for me then no. I have one climber, dont really need two but thanks

On 3/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, mazzgolf said:

I only have experience with Summit Viper - the aluminum model.

I can't compare to how light it is with other climbers, but it's light enough I guess. I have a feeling its heavier than some of the other models (Lone Wolf climbers look lighter, though I really don't know). 

It is kind of annoying when you need to strap the two halves together while keeping them from banging into each other when you walk.  You have to figure out the best system for you. You'll get it after a while, but the first several times don't be surprised to find yourself trying to fit them nicely and they won't, and when it's on your back you'll be kicking it with your legs and almost tripping while making all kinds of noise on the walk in :) Practice putting it together for the backpack'ing in. You might want to get another strap or two (or bungees) to help secure the two halves together.

I also recommend pimping it out  :) I used to just have the climber with a normal backpack with my gear, but couldn't figure out an easy way to attach the backpack to the climber that was secure and wouldn't fall off or make noise. Also made it harder to walk with it. So I ended up buying a pair of those Summit Side Bags (I originally bought the Cottonwood side bags, but didn't like them - I sold them and bought the Summit  Side Bags. I made sure I bought the new canvas style, not these - the old style that everyone hated). This also forces you to go lighter and not bring the kitchen sink. Just fill up the bags with the essentials (there is still a good amount of room with the two bags). I actually don't think Summit makes those sidebags anymore - weird. Their website only shows the front bag. Anyway - I like the sidebags.

Finally, I bought a bow rest/hanger that attaches right to the climber. This way I didn't need to carry an extra hanger. It's this thing: Third Hand Treestand Bow Rest. Kinda sticks out on the side, might get hung up on brush while walking in, but I haven't found it to be too much of a bother.

So everything is on my climber - I just need to put the climber and my bow in the truck and I'm good and I know I  won't forget anything. Put the climber on your back, carry the bow, and you're good. Of course, I wear my harness on the way in - but the tree rope is in one of the side bags.

My viper is pimped out too!

Saddle bags on 3 sides of climber portion, cushy foam yoga mat on platform, hammock style foot rest hangs off front climber portion for all day sits n to relieve pressure off feet...which helps keeping feet warm w blood flow....also feels like u r flying the millennium falcon when daydreaming during windy sits!!  Lol. By far my best addition to my pimped out version viper.....shes a bit on the heavy side tho w all those bells n whistles!

I have a viper lite that is just factory standard for short sits too

Edited by Bonefreak

On 3/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, mazzgolf said:

I only have experience with Summit Viper - the aluminum model.

I can't compare to how light it is with other climbers, but it's light enough I guess. I have a feeling its heavier than some of the other models (Lone Wolf climbers look lighter, though I really don't know). 

It is kind of annoying when you need to strap the two halves together while keeping them from banging into each other when you walk.  You have to figure out the best system for you. You'll get it after a while, but the first several times don't be surprised to find yourself trying to fit them nicely and they won't, and when it's on your back you'll be kicking it with your legs and almost tripping while making all kinds of noise on the walk in :) Practice putting it together for the backpack'ing in. You might want to get another strap or two (or bungees) to help secure the two halves together.

I also recommend pimping it out  :) I used to just have the climber with a normal backpack with my gear, but couldn't figure out an easy way to attach the backpack to the climber that was secure and wouldn't fall off or make noise. Also made it harder to walk with it. So I ended up buying a pair of those Summit Side Bags (I originally bought the Cottonwood side bags, but didn't like them - I sold them and bought the Summit  Side Bags. I made sure I bought the new canvas style, not these - the old style that everyone hated). This also forces you to go lighter and not bring the kitchen sink. Just fill up the bags with the essentials (there is still a good amount of room with the two bags). I actually don't think Summit makes those sidebags anymore - weird. Their website only shows the front bag. Anyway - I like the sidebags.

Finally, I bought a bow rest/hanger that attaches right to the climber. This way I didn't need to carry an extra hanger. It's this thing: Third Hand Treestand Bow Rest. Kinda sticks out on the side, might get hung up on brush while walking in, but I haven't found it to be too much of a bother.

So everything is on my climber - I just need to put the climber and my bow in the truck and I'm good and I know I  won't forget anything. Put the climber on your back, carry the bow, and you're good. Of course, I wear my harness on the way in - but the tree rope is in one of the side bags.

Lone Wolf Sit on climber is 8 lb lighter, hand climber 12lb lighter than the Summit Viper

It comes down to what works for you. You found it.

Edited by Lunatic

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

If this is for me then no. I have one climber, dont really need two but thanks

You could always use a back up

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just now, Lunatic said:

I do. Lone wolf climbing sticks. With two hang ons, one light one heavier and more comfortable + the climber I don’t need anything else. 

I run 2 to3 fixed hang ons on or near bait than have sticks and light portable to move on deer or to go into an area blind in the pines than my x stand climber for hardwoods..  works for me.  Every one needs to find what works best for them.  We all have different styles

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I run 2 to3 fixed hang ons on or near bait than have sticks and light portable to move on deer or to go into an area blind in the pines than my x stand climber for hardwoods..  works for me.  Every one needs to find what works best for them.  We all have different styles

I have 2 to 3 fixed sticks set up for Millenium stands which go in and out with me. I do it every year but reacting to what deer are doing I move and climb most of the time 

i spoke with thats a bingo. im buying his stand. nice guy enough to meet half way since we live far away. im buying his summit open shot. that climber seems to be what im looking for. a simple, carry light, get the job done climber. im young yet, i dont need comfort or bells and whistles. 

1 minute ago, Kype said:

i spoke with thats a bingo. im buying his stand. nice guy enough to meet half way since we live far away. im buying his summit open shot. that climber seems to be what im looking for. a simple, carry light, get the job done climber. im young yet, i dont need comfort or bells and whistles. 

Nice, good luck with it!!

4 minutes ago, Kype said:

Good luck,  I've dealt with hi. Before hood guy keeps his gear clean

1 hour ago, Kype said:

You will be happy with that stand. I had one and really liked it. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious: