IGNORED

What did you learn this deer season?

Michael Britt

On 2/17/2020 at 5:57 PM, mazzgolf said:

I learned that I need to make sure I know how/where to discard a deer carcass when butchering your own deer. :loco:

But seriously, I did learn how to butcher my own deer this year. A major achievement in my eyes. :up:

I even prepared myself for next season! I recently spent some money at Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply to get a winch and some pulleys and put together a nice little setup for lifting my gambrel. Someone here on NJW&W (forget who) posted a pic of a similar setup - I thought it was a good idea so I decided to do the same myself.  But watch -- guaranteed, next season I won't see a single deer ;) 

winch2.jpg.3de556ec988bffc7cb39798b7ca2506b.jpgwinch1.thumb.jpg.848ac1e4299a7bbb4c2e2798632b8e9e.jpg

self taught? or did you have the help of a wise old woods sage. 

26 minutes ago, Panderus said:

self taught? or did you have the help of a wise old woods sage. 

:D I just remember the picture someone posted here of basically the same setup of a boat winch bolted on a wall with pulleys on the ceiling. But I did some research to make sure I didn't do something stupid that will pull down my ceiling :) 

I bought the winch at Harbor Freight (with their 20% coupon, it only costs $20). Two bolts through the 2x4 wall stud attaches it very well - good and sturdy. Then bought a couple heavy-duty steel carbiners and pulleys from Tractor Supply (all total about another $30). Above where the gambrel will be (which, BTW, was another Harbor Freight special), I put a long piece of 2x4 attached to the ceiling and screwed into 3 separate ceiling joists using 4" structural screws. Above the winch, I screwed in a 2x4 under the original frame, attached with 3" structural screws. (those structural screws are expensive, but are so strong they can replace lag bolts). Heavy duty eye bolts are put into the 2x4s to hang the caribiners/pulleys. Each component (eye bolt, pulley, caribiner) have working loads strong enough to hold way more than I need (e.g. the pulleys can handle over 400 pounds) so I won't have to worry about anything breaking. This should all easily handle hoisting and working on a NJ whitetail. I doubt anything even 200 pounds will be a problem.