IGNORED

Fall Food Plot

1 hour ago, OMC said:

Looks a lot better than ours ! We planted winter wheat and peas in the second week of Sept. With no rain since it looks like a dessert just this past week we started to see some growth. Hopefully this rain will really get it growing.

You should start seeing some growth. 

Morning dew now every morning really helps

www.liftxrentals.com

Electric did you use the seed from Merit ? The last plot we did we used it on Tom's advise and it grew great. Hoping for the same results this year. 

Merit was very helpful on what would work best in the area we were planting both times. This year it was mixed in with the farmers seed he planted for his hay. We did an edge of the field about 60 by 250 yards long 

7 hours ago, OMC said:

Since these are late fall and winter plots does the first frost hurt them as much ? Will they continue to grow after the frost hits ?

Rye and Wheat will continue to grow. 

Rye, wheat and clover is a pretty much year round food source

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

11 hours ago, OMC said:

Electric did you use the seed from Merit ? The last plot we did we used it on Tom's advise and it grew great. Hoping for the same results this year. 

Merit was very helpful on what would work best in the area we were planting both times. This year it was mixed in with the farmers seed he planted for his hay. We did an edge of the field about 60 by 250 yards long 

Yes. I bought from Merit on Tom's recommendation. I will definitely purchase from them in the future.

Not trying to hijack thread but thought I would add I took advice from tcook on my first plot. Nuked one acre all summer. Planted clover and rye Labor Day. Tonight I watched a six and a real nice 2 1/2 year old 8 plus a few doe feeding while sipping my bourbon on my porch. If I didn’t have bigger target bucks I would have been attempting a stalk. I guess if you build it they will come. Thanks again tcook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, OMC said:

So the peas were a waste of time ? 

I wouldnt say that. I dont have any pesonal experience with peas but my thoughts they are a candy crop to the deer same as the soybeans I plant in the summer. Post some pics of the peas and let us know how well they grow for you, if the deer like them and how they make out after a frost. 

I like planting a variety. I glass deer almost every evening in my food plots and its funny how some deer will walk through a plot looking for their favorite food. 

I recomnend the rye, wheat and clover because they are easy plots to grow. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com