IGNORED

Start Your Vehicles ASAP

archer36

20 hours ago, archer36 said:

Glad you mentioned that. I read an article recently that said it is not only not necessary but harmful to run your can more than a few minute idling in the winter. LOL

Idling for long periods in general is not good for any vehicle-an extreme case is police cars which only have a useful life of three years at least from a financing perspective.  They may not have that many miles on them but the hours and hours spent idling at calls, road jobs, etc...does them in.  Idling for 15 minutes in extreme cold weather to warm up (or extreme hot weather to cool down) isnt going to hurt a damn thing.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 minute ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Idling for long periods in general is not good for any vehicle-an extreme case is police cars which only have a useful life of three years at least from a financing perspective.  They may not have that many miles on them but the hours and hours spent idling at calls, road jobs, etc...does them in.  Idling for 15 minutes in extreme cold weather to warm up (or extreme hot weather to cool down) isnt going to hurt a damn thing.

Yeah, 15 minutes is one thing. It's about as much time as is needed for the engine to come up to full temp when it's really cold out. Some people take it to an extreme. 

Yeah, 15 minutes is one thing. It's about as much time as is needed for the engine to come up to full temp when it's really cold out. Some people take it to an extreme. 

My older Suburban (2000) wont come up to full temp within 15 min. I have to put a load on it to get it up to 195. It will come up to 165 when at Zero in 15 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

My older Suburban (2000) wont come up to full temp within 15 min. I have to put a load on it to get it up to 195. It will come up to 165 when at Zero in 15 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2010 Suburban. Tested the battery this morning after getting it charged yesterday.  The engine was at full temp after 12 minutes. I guess there are a lot of factors that can affect that. Do cars even have thermostats anymore? LOL

Edited by archer36

10 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Even in the coldest weather I've ever experienced (-5°F) I've never needed more than that in a gas powered vehicle.  Back when I had my 7.3L Powestroke it would sit there with the EBPV shut making that hissing sound for 15 minutes and still wouldn't be up to operating temperature.  A lot of the newer diesels come with a high idle option now to solve that problem.  Plus, long idle periods in the cold are even worse for diesels than they are for gassers due to wet stacking.  

1 minute ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Even in the coldest weather I've ever experienced (-5°F) I've never needed more than that in a gas powered vehicle.  Back when I had my 7.3L Powestroke it would sit there with the EBPV shut making that hissing sound for 15 minutes and still wouldn't be up to operating temperature.  A lot of the newer diesels come with a high idle option now to solve that problem.  Plus, long idle periods in the cold are even worse for diesels than they are for gassers due to wet stacking.  

Ha ha, don't know anything about diesels. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, LPJR said:

Good advice archer. With these cold temps recently, I need to pick up a new battery tomorrow. When I left for work this morning I had a portable jump starter with me. Worth picking one up. Small, yet powerful when needed....Attached a link below for the Halo..My kids each have one in their cars as well....

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Starter-Floodlight-Phone/dp/B01B6N52E8/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1548078584&sr=1-5&keywords=halo+jump+starter

Mine arrived today. Thanks LPJR. Great suggestion. 

IMG_20190122_112443.jpg

1 hour ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Even in the coldest weather I've ever experienced (-5°F) I've never needed more than that in a gas powered vehicle.  Back when I had my 7.3L Powestroke it would sit there with the EBPV shut making that hissing sound for 15 minutes and still wouldn't be up to operating temperature. 

Yeah, mine sounds like a jet aircraft! lol

IMG_1572.jpg

Edited by Nomad

Just now, Nomad said:

Yeah, mine sounds like a jet aircraft! lol

Nice truck.  I have a 2012 F250 with the 6.2L gas now.  Great engine, tons of power, etc...but I miss the sound of my 7.3L  I'll never own another diesel unless its a 7.3L.  I deal with all of the new diesel issues at work (twin turbos, DEF systems, particulate filters, etc...) and they're nothing but a hassle anymore.  We need them for our purposes, but for a personal truck I don't need the headaches and could not justify the repair bills.  

18 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Nice truck.  I have a 2012 F250 with the 6.2L gas now.  Great engine, tons of power, etc...but I miss the sound of my 7.3L  I'll never own another diesel unless its a 7.3L.  I deal with all of the new diesel issues at work (twin turbos, DEF systems, particulate filters, etc...) and they're nothing but a hassle anymore.  We need them for our purposes, but for a personal truck I don't need the headaches and could not justify the repair bills.  

Yes I’m going to keep it as long as I can. 154,000 miles now. Bought new in 99. Manual trans original clutch.

4 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

First car was a 1976 VW Beetle, had to let it run to July if you wanted heat!!! And you get the dirtiest looks bringing home a deer tied down in the front trunk I can attest to.

Yeah, my Friend had one. Freeze your butt of in the winter.