IGNORED

...and there you have it!

_X7

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

No that is opinion the state can't control numbers in non huntable areas so they have to do it on huntable land..  believe it or not those deer that live on non huntable land do go to neighboring huntable property...  do I believe they can separate the heavily populated and low areas better yes..  

So deer in Bergen County go to lands that are huntable?

Just now, Rusty said:

Few deer on public land.   Lots of deer in residential areas.  

Hey,  I've got a crazy idea.  Get involved with a management hunt in a residential area.  :D  

What cracks me up is s lot of guys saying they aren't seeing deer in the zone they hunt or area keep hunting the same spots...  move and find deer.   There is plenty of land that deer are on that it s huntable

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Few deer on public land.   Lots of deer in residential areas.  

Hey,  I've got a crazy idea.  Get involved with a management hunt in a residential area.  :D  

For me hunting isn't just about the kill, I'm happy seeing deer....I had no issues on opportunities on deer this year, but seeing very little gets old and boring

Last deer I took here in NJ was 2012.....I don't shoot does , fawns or below average bucks for the area i hunt ....being selective and patient is hard but is the right thing to do
Lame excuses needed to stop.... "I'm on doe patrol" "I'm hunting on management hunt " "landowner wants the deer dead",  "my family only eats venison" or my favorite pathetic excuse "My buddy wants venison he doesn't hunt"
these are the same people who complain about lack of deer seen in the late season, then come September/October they are back to killing everything
Don't forget when you shot a five-pointer to break in a new gun. When you you point fingers you have three pointing back at you [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Just now, vdep217 said:

What cracks me up is s lot of guys saying they aren't seeing deer in the zone they hunt or area keep hunting the same spots...  move and find deer.   There is plenty of land that deer are on that it s huntable

Who was it that said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results?  :rofl:

Increase license fee so the state still gets funds, with that you get a total of 3 tags use them on any deer you like thru out the season once all three used you're done...include antler restrictions statewide

Ridiculous idea. Just what I want to pay more fees in this disgusting state of New Jersey. The more money that goes into hunting conservation in this state the less that will actually go towards it. I guarantee that especially with Murphy in charge

17 minutes ago, Huntfree77 said:

Don't forget when you shot a five-pointer to break in a new gun. When you you point fingers you have three pointing back at you emoji23.png

Ummm no I dont remember....I do remember I said I challenge myself to a 6 points or better with the muzzleloader and I shot 7 pointer in a zone at that time averaged 4 pointer as a decent deer, so yes I kept my word on that.....and that was when I was still hunting with  Knight BK-92 so that was before 2005

4 hours ago, BHC said:

I drive 120 miles round trip to and from work, I dont see many deer this year as I have in the past,  including not as many road kills, but if we believe the reports by the farm BUREAU of 140 deer per Square mile I should see deer all over.....this morning I saw 12 deer on the grounds of St.Lukes Hospital which is in a residential neighborhood,  saw one deer on Rt.287 in Piscataway.....give me a break about over population 

Route 206 from Route 80 south to Somerville was a slaughterhouse. Same for Route 80 between Interchanges 19 and 37. I live on the border of Allamuchy and Green Townships.  Evening rides can count 100+ deer within a ten mile radius.  Now, that was not so two years or so ago, but the with acorn crop and the mild winters, the population rebounded spectacularly.  

Past few to five years or so, there has been very little to no pressure on pubic lands in that same area.  And there are large swaths of public lands available.

I looked the best I could find is an estimated number of deer killed by vehicles each year till 2016..  so the 25000 average added to the 55000 average of harvest numbers is 80000 per year.    More data that the numbers are stable.  But since it is from state farm it could be manipulated but again only data I could find

Screenshot_20181223-202643_Web Browser.jpg

4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

while I don't believe its at 140 per square mile ( which is 500 acres) I would bet its between 60/80  in the area I mentioned along the 78 corridor.. Rt 287 being at least the same

I hunt much of that area and DAILY have 15/ 20 bucks on cams on each farm.

If you drive the square down 31 to Payne rd, and any side roads in Annandale you can EASILY  see well over 100 deer from your car.

Newark watershed I believe is more lacking of deer because of the over population of bears and coyotes there, NOT due to hunting pressure

Hammer, if you’re seeing ~20 bucks on each farm ( how big is each property?), and the typical herd makeup is 40% male/60% female, that would mean you have ~70 Deer on each farm. If they’re a sq. mile, which is 640 acres, you have 70 Deer per sq. mile. 

If the property is half a mile sq., then you have 140 Deer per sq mile. 

But these numbers would be averages based on your observations only, and there are always more Deer then are observed in the field, always! 

But there is quite  a bit more to the way the State projects population numbers through distance sampling methods, etc. then we are discussing.

So, I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “follow the money,” in this case I would follow Vdeps comments and follow the data! 😁

28 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Hammer, if you’re seeing ~20 bucks on each farm ( how big is each property?), and the typical herd makeup is 40% male/60% female, that would mean you have ~70 Deer on each farm. If they’re a sq. mile, which is 640 acres, you have 70 Deer per sq. mile. 

If the property is half a mile sq., then you have 140 Deer per sq mile. 

But these numbers would be averages based on your observations only, and there are always more Deer then are observed in the field, always! 

But there is quite  a bit more to the way the State projects population numbers through distance sampling methods, etc. then we are discussing.

So, I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “follow the money,” in this case I would follow Vdeps comments and follow the data! 😁

140 could be true for certain areas..  the math I used in another post was the entire state than half the state witch is high for huntable area and came up with so total of 25 pr square mile.   In reality its probly 18 or 1900  square miles of huntable land giving approx 25 deer harvested psm...  using 20 percent kill that's 237000 deer in just 1900 sm before the years harvest.  And I know 20 percent Is high easier for round numbers.  And if applied to whole state would be over a million deer witch we know isn't happening so I'll n reality  based on my math were looking some where in the 110 to 180 thousand total herd number that remains constant

Edited by vdep217