IGNORED

Velvet or No Velvet?

Buck154

5 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Be aware velvet adds quite a bit to the mount cost. Even a skull mount.
You want the rack freeze dried IMO for the most natural results.
Here is my 1st velvet buck from last bowseason.. I love the way it looks. I painted all the rubbed areas with a bloody look because thats how it looked when I watched him walk nearly underneath my stand before I shot him. The day prior his velvet was prestine.. but I didn't have a buck tag yet. That evening I got my buck tag and the next morning he stepped out again and his rack was peeling. I definately like the velvet look! I dont like the stress of handling it while its so delicate tho. It's hard to drag and Cape a deer in velvet because you can not handle the antlers like you normally would. I took some closeups - the camera flash makes the red appear brighter than it really is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jay:  Probably a stupid question but...

If you get a deer in velvet but don't care about the velvet, can it just be pulled off and have a hard-horned mount?

15 minutes ago, dlist777 said:

Jay:  Probably a stupid question but...

If you get a deer in velvet but don't care about the velvet, can it just be pulled off and have a hard-horned mount?

Yes you can peel it off, just like a lot of the early season Caribou. Lot of guy would peel it so they can get it officially scored then.