IGNORED

Velvet or No Velvet?

Buck154

What would you like to shoot buck in or out of velvet. Me personally don't care for the look of velvet. I rather shoot one with hard antler than in velvet. I shot a 6pt years ago when they started the early bow season and it means nothing to me any more. 

If 2 bucks came in together about the same size would you shoot the velvet buck or the one with out velvet? Me no velvet!

With Velvet

With out velvet

It wouldn't matter to me either way, which ever one got me more excited.  It would be cool to have one mount in velvet, but I won't lower my standards just to say I got one in velvet.   If it happens it happens, not gonna jump through hoops for one.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

8 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Realistically doesn't matter to me.  With that said I have yet to see a velvet mount that looks good. They look to perfect. Fake. Again just my opinion.  

The ones you see that look perfect are artificial velvet (spray on). Real velvet looks better but still not great. It has to be freeze dried or injected to preserve it. 

Be aware velvet adds quite a bit to the mount cost. Even a skull mount.
You want the rack freeze dried IMO for the most natural results.
Here is my 1st velvet buck from last bowseason.. I love the way it looks. I painted all the rubbed areas with a bloody look because thats how it looked when I watched him walk nearly underneath my stand before I shot him. The day prior his velvet was prestine.. but I didn't have a buck tag yet. That evening I got my buck tag and the next morning he stepped out again and his rack was peeling. I definately like the velvet look! I dont like the stress of handling it while its so delicate tho. It's hard to drag and Cape a deer in velvet because you can not handle the antlers like you normally would. I took some closeups - the camera flash makes the red appear brighter than it really is.20180820_132314.jpeg20180820_132328.jpeg20180820_132352.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk