IGNORED

Great American Outdoor Show- disappointing

TheGreek

I was interested in a Solo "Drop Hunt" for Mule Deer and Elk.  One outfitter I talked to in Harrisburg put together a package for me and I asked him to email it to me.  I gave him a business card.  Never heard from him.  Saw him at the Rockland show.  He strolled in late with what looked like a disheveled "lady of the night" and they were obviously hung over.  He didn't even recognize me.  My thoughts were if this is how he conducts business I am fairly sure I don't want to hunt with him. 

How far in between shows? Did you expect him to remember you though? I feel that a lot of these guys won't recognize a lot of people since they see so many 

How far in between shows? Did you expect him to remember you though? I feel that a lot of these guys won't recognize a lot of people since they see so many

I want to say about 3 weeks. If somebody was going to hand me $2500 for a drop hunt I would remember them. I am sure there are a lot of tire kickers at these shows but when you have somebody talking numbers, dates, and tag applications you should take them seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to say about 3 weeks. If somebody was going to hand me $2500 for a drop hunt I would remember them. I am sure there are a lot of tire kickers at these shows but when you have somebody talking numbers, dates, and tag applications you should take them seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you I would be pissed for not getting attention and response but him not remembering you is normal. If you dealt with several thousands of people in a single week, week after week after week, you wouldn't remember as well.  

I have wanted to go for many, many years and my son & i went yesterday.  It was super huge and a bit overwhelming, hot and very crowded is some of the areas. Except in the Outfitters section almost every other booth they were selling knives.

I bought an NRA coffee mug that I estimate cost me about $51.80 when you factor in tolls, tickets and parking.  Priceless........   don't think it was worth the $, time traveling, and 4 hours walking the show and we didn't even do the boating or fishing section.

But, hey, I did go !

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Like you I would be pissed for not getting attention and response but him not remembering you is normal. If you dealt with several thousands of people in a single week, week after week after week, you wouldn't remember as well.  

The vendors and Guides only wish they had 1000s of people interested in them. and not just passing by. Knowing your customer base especially someone who engaged in most likely 1 hour going over the details of a booking. To me, I would look further and dump the unprofessional.  Hell a used car salesman would remember your name why not some Guide Who may only book 3 trips if he's lucky.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

i went wednesday from 10 opening to 7 closing and did not see it all. spent time with some of the guys from the tv show north woods law (maine). talked with some maine guides about the old days. talked to some outfitters from kansas about pheasant and quail hunting and made a special deal with one them for me and my dog. i am planning a trip to bowman,nd with a stop in kansas on the way home. busted the canada guys about their prime minister and his people kind statement to a woman who use the term mankind.  

they think he is there obama. some duck and goose guides invited me to have dinner with them,get me drunk and spot burn some south jersey duck marsh honey holes i have. i go every year, midweek,always a good day out. i skip the bow and boat part. saw some of the dock dogs working out, checked out the trucks and john deere tractors and a quick look at the guns, i have all i can use.

The vendors and Guides only wish they had 1000s of people interested in them. and not just passing by. Knowing your customer base especially someone who engaged in most likely 1 hour going over the details of a booking. To me, I would look further and dump the unprofessional.  Hell a used car salesman would remember your name why not some Guide Who may only book 3 trips if he's lucky.

I guess you are right:

Drive from so Carolina and back 750  miles x 2 - +_  $156 in gas

Hotel fo 9 days at                    $150  x 2 people     $2,700

meals at +- $50/day x two people                              $900

Help to do the 9 days at $150/day                          $1,350

Rent the space at the show (guess at $150/day)   $1,,350

Total                                                                       $6,456

Then in 9 days he books 3 pig hunts at $1,650 = $4,950

Lets say they clear 800/hunter for 5 day hunt. so 3 x 800 = $2,400 in hand while spending $9,006 to get it :shock:

Right, this makes sense :shock:

Edited by Lunatic

I have wanted to go for many, many years and my son & i went yesterday.  It was super huge and a bit overwhelming, hot and very crowded is some of the areas. Except in the Outfitters section almost every other booth they were selling knives.

I bought an NRA coffee mug that I estimate cost me about $51.80 when you factor in tolls, tickets and parking.  Priceless........   don't think it was worth the $, time traveling, and 4 hours walking the show and we didn't even do the boating or fishing section.

But, hey, I did go !

That was my conclusion two years ago. The only reason I would go to say hi to some outfitters I hunted with and a friend who works the industry but lives now in Virginia.

Myself and a couple of guys from New Egypt Speedway rent a couple of booths at the Motorsports show in Oaks. It costs the track, I believe, $3000 to rent two spots for a three day show. We always say that we reap no benefit from it. We hand out schedules, have some of our top drivers do autographs, answer questions and sell pit passes and parking spots. Us guys that work the show do it for free. One year we decided to not do it cuz we saw no benefit. That started the worst bunch of rumors that the track was sold, we were going out of business and other stuff so we figured that we had to have a presence there just to expose the track and show we were still in the game.

:offtopic: 06roadking Glad to see a Circle guy on here. been going 70 years to NJ tracks see some go  :eek: some Grow. Oldbridge was one of my first. I worked with Eddy Bohn some 30 years at GM Linden I as a Millwright him Tool Repair. 

Over the years, I have seen more exposure to Car dealers. Monmouth County fair Track Open Houses Trade shows draw a different Crowd.  My son does the Zema every year for his Division. 

Worrying if people ( Fans ) think any track is closing look at Wall over the Years. 

The Track I miss most is Flemington Dirt Between 1st 2nd Turns  :shock:    Especially when the  Outlaws showed up. to blow them all away.

Post your car 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif