IGNORED

Safely Cutting Down a Dead Leaning Tree

dlist777

No mine was climbing a ladder to precision cut and drop a tree.  The plan was going well, until the big ash split BELOW my  notch and cut, and then kicked out the ladder I was 16' up on... I was left with a running 20" Stihl in one hand, and hanging onto the top of my cut with the other... Ladder on the ground. Had to drop the running saw and shimmy down the tree.    The tree did drop exactly where I wanted it too - just a minor technicality of the lower half splitting... I didn't make my notch deep enough...   That - and the fact that ONE SHOULD NEVER CLIMB A LADDER WITH A CHAINSAW...

Now back to the problem at hand. It seems every single winter when I go out in my woods looking for dead or dying trees to cut down, I always find the leaner, and usually good size...  I just did a giant maple a few weeks back, very hung up...  Between the winch on my quad and making as many under-cuts from the bottom up as it takes, I have 100% success so far but it is a bit un-nerving and you gotta be careful you may pinch your saw, but after each cut from the bottom the tree starts to stand straight up, thus making the next undercut that more difficult.  Sometimes just a few cuts and sections removed and the tree shifts and falls. Sometimes as it becomes more vertical - that's when I get the quad involved. 

Have a sledge hammer and wedge or two handy, in case you pinch your saw you can relieve the pressure and back it out.

Again - 100 % success rate many years running on these, but you have to also factor in that I was STUPID ENOUGH TO CLIMB 16' UP A LADDER WITH A CHAINSAW AND CUT A TREE DOWN AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT.

Experience is the best teacher.   :rofl:

Couple years ago, a friend of mine told me about this. He was good friends with one of those professional tree guys. This tree guy was over 60 years old, did the tree thing forever but was almost ready to retire. He wasn't climbing trees anymore - he was the manager on the ground supervising the work of the climbers. Well, someone up in the tree did a cut, widow-maker branch fell and hit the guy in the head. Went into a coma for several months - never came out of it. Died. Professional guy, doing it forever, and even stopped climbing at the time getting ready for retirement... yet, still all it took was one mistake.

Moral of the story - trying to cut down trees is no joke - if you have to ask how to do it, it means you probably want to just get a professional. 

Cut a wedge out on the top side of the trunk, about 4' up.  Then back cut from underneath up towards the back of the wedge until the tree comes down.  It may stay hung up, just keep doing that until the tree either falls over or it's so short that you can push it over.  

Step cut technique?

Now back to the problem at hand. It seems every single winter when I go out in my woods looking for dead or dying trees to cut down, I always find the leaner, and usually good size...  I just did a giant maple a few weeks back, very hung up...  Between the winch on my quad and making as many under-cuts from the bottom up as it takes, I have 100% success so far but it is a bit un-nerving and you gotta be careful you may pinch your saw, but after each cut from the bottom the tree starts to stand straight up, thus making the next undercut that more difficult.  Sometimes just a few cuts and sections removed and the tree shifts and falls. Sometimes as it becomes more vertical - that's when I get the quad involved. 

Have a sledge hammer and wedge or two handy, in case you pinch your saw you can relieve the pressure and back it out.

Again - 100 % success rate many years running on these, but you have to also factor in that I was STUPID ENOUGH TO CLIMB 16' UP A LADDER WITH A CHAINSAW AND CUT A TREE DOWN AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT.

Thanks guys.  Very useful and informative.  I need to go back and take another look at why it's hung up and if I could do this safely.  But, either way, I appreciate the info.  Very useful.

Edited by dlist777

Just be smart about it, be aware of the direction the pieces will fall and always be on the opposing side of it.  Even with that step cutting, the cut piece or the main tree could roll or slide in a certain direction depending on how it's laying or hung up.  Take your time and think it through, and if you are uncomfortable about it, then better to get someone who is comfortable with it to do it. :up:

Long story made short.

I was up a tree with a saw  My Father in law on ground with a rope tied to branch.  I had a rope tied to a higher branch and wanted for him to guide the branch down.  I told him to hold the rope but immediately let go if it gets too strong. While I was sawing he tied rope around himself.  The branch snapped early.  He got drug about 20 feet across the yard on his stomach and only suffered a black eye.  Was inches from much worse.  This was all in view with my mother in law and wife....  

Just be smart about it, be aware of the direction the pieces will fall and always be on the opposing side of it.  Even with that step cutting, the cut piece or the main tree could roll or slide in a certain direction depending on how it's laying or hung up.  Take your time and think it through, and if you are uncomfortable about it, then better to get someone who is comfortable with it to do it. :up:

Nah - as Rusty said, "experience is the best teacher".   It's only a big dead tree and a chainsaw - what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Cut a wedge out on the top side of the trunk, about 4' up. Then back cut from underneath up towards the back of the wedge until the tree comes down. It may stay hung up, just keep doing that until the tree either falls over or it's so short that you can push it over.

Very good advise

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk