IGNORED

Broadhead Cutting Width Question

Nomad

Once again , , your caring more about the good hit deer . which any head would kill !!!!

NOT about the deer that were not hit perfect..

Mosty damage I have seen from any head on the market is from the Toxic.

BY FAR no broadhead creates the internal wound they do .

BUT after seeing quite a few deer shot with them, and all die quickly. I have yet to see hardly any blood on the ground from them.

so on a poor hit using them an animal may not be found.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Once again , , your caring more about the good hit deer . which any head would kill !!!!

BUT after seeing quite a few deer shot with them, and all die quickly. I have yet to see hardly any blood on the ground from them.

my point was about a bad hit deer - which the picture of my entry shows I was way too high and if shooting a rage hypo, for example, it's quite possible that I may have been stopped by the bone with no recovery. So I agree that a certain BH style will bail you out in marginal hits, but since I tend to shoot more forward than some do, I should favor the type of head I do shoot. If I favored aiming further back, I would indeed want a massive cut expandable...   It all comes down to confidence and what gives you the most.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

The Toxic head makes what I would call a "bullet hole" type wound. Not large in diameter, but very open.  

I have an Excaliber crossbow, Excaliber Diablo arrows, and Excaliber broadheads(boltcutters).  They are 3 blade, 150 grains, 1 1/8 cutting diameter.  On the small size as far a broadheads go.   Shoot just like field points.  

This is exactly what I use.   I've only shot 3 deer with my Excalibur crossbow since getting it, but the longest one ran was about 40 yards.  The others were about 15 yards and 25 yards each.

All 3 of those shots were good kill shots, and that's what matters IMO, not whether you use a broadhead or an expandable.   On the shot you're showing pics of the hit is a little far back, and even if you used an expandable the deer might not have died right away.   

My advice is to keep shooting your Diablo arrows with Boltcutter broadheads, as they do fly precisely like the field points as you noted.   This is a VERY valuable thing, because you can train/practice just as you'll hunt.   Also, Excalibur spent hundreds of hours testing those Easton arrows with the Boltcutters specifically for use with your Matrix, and the results are obvious given how impressive the accuracy of that set-up is.  If it aint broke, dont fix it.  My 2¢.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

The debate expandable vs fixed can go on forever as both have there pros and cons. I made my choice of fixed cut on contact for a couple reasons. When it all boils down you are the one to end the debate for yourself. You need to have confidence in your broad head any doubt may cause you to try and look at the store in flight causing you to drop your bow and change poi. Bottom line find a broad head you hsve confidence in and use it

Edited by vdep217

This is exactly what I use.   I've only shot 3 deer with my Excalibur crossbow since getting it, but the longest one ran was about 40 yards.  The others were about 15 yards and 25 yards each.

All 3 of those shots were good kill shots, and that's what matters IMO, not whether you use a broadhead or an expandable.   On the shot you're showing pics of the hit is a little far back, and even if you used an expandable the deer might not have died right away.   

My advice is to keep shooting your Diablo arrows with Boltcutter broadheads, as they do fly precisely like the field points as you noted.   This is a VERY valuable thing, because you can train/practice just as you'll hunt.   Also, Excalibur spent hundreds of hours testing those Easton arrows with the Boltcutters specifically for use with your Matrix, and the results are obvious given how impressive the accuracy of that set-up is.  If it aint broke, dont fix it.  My 2¢.

I need one more doe so I am going give the BoltCutter another try and will report back.