IGNORED

Which deer would you shoot?

I get the impression you would rather let him shrink...in the dehydrator. 

In all seriousness, I read this, right after reading an email regarding concerns of the Farm Lobby about the exploding deer population. They say farmers are complaining about record levels of deer damage, more deer than ever, and hunting not being a good enough method to manage the numbers, in summary.

I think a few things are going on there; 1) these farmers have conveniently forgotten what real deer damage is from the 1980's and 1990's. The farms round Salem, Cumberland and Gloucester County are not experiencing even 1/5 the amount of deer damage they did back then, and if farmers are saying they are they are either fibbing, or never noticed it before. Or more likely, many never thought of reporting to the State back then because old farmers didn't complain about such things, and there were no remedies available anyhow. 

And 2), maybe next time someone asks for permission to hunt, they should say yes instead of no. Many, if not most do hunt and keep it for themselves, or a family member...which is perfectly fine, I understand that but don't complain about too many deer if that's what you are doing.

I did plenty of driving around this year and in a few spots, I saw good numbers of deer in the fields, a FEW spots. In the late 1970's, most of the 1980's and early 1990's, fields of deer like I saw in a few places this year, were everywhere. 

But the point is, what hunters are trying to do by cutting back to let the herd rebuild, is exactly opposite of what the Ag lobby wants. This exact same post on a website called, say...njfarmsandgardens...would say kill them all, and all their family members. 

You completely missed the point of what Rusty said to you. He wants to take one deer for meat. What is the difference to deer population if he takes a button buck or 190" class buck 4.5 years in the future?

You completely missed the point of what Rusty said to you. He wants to take one deer for meat. What is the difference to deer population if he takes a button buck or 190" class buck 4.5 years in the future?

I didn't miss the point, but maybe you missed mine. Not sure how you missed it, I even ended the post with "the point is", and then clearly (I thought) typed it out, trying to make sure everyone got what I was saying.

Rusty, and nearly all the responses on this thread talk about the herd being low, need to increase the population, don't shoot any of them, save the breeding doe, save the fawn, save the spike, etc. 

My post was about how I was reading all this, after just reading an email about concerns from the NJ Ag Lobby that there are too many deer and hunters are not doing enough to reduce the numbers. 

My point, that you seem to have missed...we are all talking about saving deer and increasing numbers, and farmers want us to kill more and reduce numbers. 

Was that a bit more succinct?

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I think a few things are going on there; 1) these farmers have conveniently forgotten what real deer damage is from the 1980's and 1990's. The farms round Salem, Cumberland and Gloucester County are not experiencing even 1/5 the amount of deer damage they did back then, and if farmers are saying they are they are either fibbing, or never noticed it before. Or more likely, many never thought of reporting to the State back then because old farmers didn't complain about such things, and there were no remedies available anyhow. 

You are 100% correct DV1.  My research at Rutgers back in the late 80s and early 90s was on agriculture losses in south Jersey, and today's deer herd and agricultural damage doesn't compare to what it was back then.  

You are 100% correct DV1.  My research at Rutgers back in the late 80s and early 90s was on agriculture losses in south Jersey, and today's deer herd and agricultural damage doesn't compare to what it was back then.  

The Division's Farm Lease program is pretty active around here and many of the fields on WMA's have beans planted every year. In many of them, you'd be hard pressed to find much, if any, evidence of deer browsing...on soybeans...in late July or August. Been like that for 3 or 4 years now and it amazes me every summer. I can remember the same fields, when they were private, having sizable sections eaten almost down the the dirt. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I've had many offers for venison donations and people inviting me to come hunt their property.  I greatly appreciate your generosity but this post was not a cry for help.   :rofl:

Our freezer is full, I've taken several deer this year, and between the kids and I we will be taking several more over the next few weeks.

I started this thread to see how people would answer this question.  

Edited by Rusty

I don't care about horns, I want meat, and a yearling buck (the spike) has a lot of good meat.  Why would I want to "let him grow"?

So that the horn hunters hereon don't have to sit home on the couch lamenting the fact that their Coverts are not texting them pics of target bucks and so then they can go sit in a tree without wasting their time.  Got it?  Leave the damn spike alone.

Shoot what makes you happy when any of them come in.im tired of hearing all the word salad about don't shoot this don't shoot that it's all bologne.you shoot a wallhanger people complain it didn't score high enough you shoot a doe they complain you should have let it go but they're usually the same people who can't wait til eab to kill a doe to hunt a buck (what difference does it make if you shoot a doe in Sept or January it's still one less deer that won't get ran over just to rot by a car or starve to death)my pet peeve in harvesting any deer is the guys who shoot 6 7 10 does a year esp on public ground that's a little insane just my opinion.doe small buck big buck it's your decision at the end of the day the meats still red and alot more tender then a old buck

Edited by smoking gun