IGNORED

Deer-a-thon 12/8

Rusty

So far we could finish as early as 12:00, since I know two drives we can do, I texted Woj, haven't heard back yet, he knows a few more but he not be interested, as for chokes for 00 buck full works good, if all goes as planned in the stuff we are going to be in the shots will be somewhat close, less tha 30 yards of so.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

So far we could finish as early as 12:00, since I know two drives we can do, I texted Woj, haven't heard back yet, he knows a few more but he not be interested, as for chokes for 00 buck full works good, if all goes as planned in the stuff we are going to be in the shots will be somewhat close, less tha 30 yards of so.

So no slug? 

AWM #2

just like with a bow, or a crossbow, or a muzzy, or a slug gun, or a rifle - buckshot MUST be patterned in the gun before you hunt.   No two guns pattern the same and various buckshot brands pattern completely different.

I have seen over the years, at 30 yards one brand of 00 completely miss a 12" Circle at 30 yards, and switching to a different brand put the vast majority in the circle. 

Same with changing barrels, or guns rather than changing buckshot.   Back when I shot buckshot, my Remington 1100 would pattern 00 Remington really well out to 50 yards consistently with my 28" modified barrel, but put the 30" full barrel on it and it was useless even at 30 yards.

Everyone should know their "effective range" regardless of weapon and ammo - shooting at a live animal should never be guesswork...   JMHO...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

No, no slugs. Sorry. In a drive buckshot is more effective.

Back in my old "Hyper Humus" club driving days, it was policy to ONLY use buckshot due to safety reasons and the "thickness" in those wicked swamps...    Still we had two unfortunate incidents where someone got shot and fortunately did not end in death but one was real bad. I was not there but my Dad told me about it.  One incident involved a driver "Shooting down the line of drivers" in thickest part of swamp with deer running every direction.   The other involved a stander "shooting down the line of standers".  First one (Drivers) was closer range and required serious emergency attention, the second, the buckshot traveled over 100 yards and a few pellets glanced two different standers...  One pellet even cut a guy's face by his eye, and broke his glasses (close call) the other a guy had a few imbedded and actually removed them himself with no medical attention (tough old bastard).

The reality is that during a deer drive the only person you can truly account for is YOURSELF.  Know your target and beyond....  However - you just don't know how others will react in heat of the moment and stampeding deer, especially if one of the deer has "a rack".

I actually think a single projectile (slug) would be much safer overall, and trust me I have given it a lot of thought over the years.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

How about that drive we did a few years back down the side of the one mountain pushed all those deer

Just didn’t it have it set up right the first time

That drive needs a guy or 2 with slugs but that's a good drive.

I might be in. Gotta juggle work around. 

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.

YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin