IGNORED

Deer-a-thon 12/8

Rusty

Back in my old "Hyper Humus" club driving days, it was policy to ONLY use buckshot due to safety reasons and the "thickness" in those wicked swamps...    Still we had two unfortunate incidents where someone got shot and fortunately did not end in death but one was real bad. I was not there but my Dad told me about it.  One incident involved a driver "Shooting down the line of drivers" in thickest part of swamp with deer running every direction.   The other involved a stander "shooting down the line of standers".  First one (Drivers) was closer range and required serious emergency attention, the second, the buckshot traveled over 100 yards and a few pellets glanced two different standers...  One pellet even cut a guy's face by his eye, and broke his glasses (close call) the other a guy had a few imbedded and actually removed them himself with no medical attention (tough old bastard).

The reality is that during a deer drive the only person you can truly account for is YOURSELF.  Know your target and beyond....  However - you just don't know how others will react in heat of the moment and stampeding deer, especially if one of the deer has "a rack".

I actually think a single projectile (slug) would be much safer overall, and trust me I have given it a lot of thought over the years.

We used to drive NY with rifles but we knew the land, only 10 guys and shooting lanes were very established. Didn't yo buck our way through, more like still hunting with lots of guys. Get them up and moving but not bolting.

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.

YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin

Wassup GhostBear!!!  Gonna work on Woj and maybe get Tailchaser too but won't know if I can make it till prob Thursday. I was out yesterday and moved to a spot in the pm and ended getting a call from daycare and had to bail to go get sick kid. Lost today because of sick kid again so not sure if I can take Friday off.

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.

YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin

I used to enjoy these drives, but I never cared for hunting and putting trust into a bunch of guys I didn't know. The last one i decided to attend, some guy (I forget what his name is) asked us if anyone knew how to load his gun, I was walking with Catfish and we were just in awe. Stayed away from him the rest of the day.

Wish I could go since I live so close to there & haven’t gotten my first deer yet, but I took off Monday for opening day and can’t go back out until Saturday :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

call in sick!!! (Cough,cough, yeah I can't make it today I got buck fever!) lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Wassup GhostBear!!!  Gonna work on Woj and maybe get Tailchaser too but won't know if I can make it till prob Thursday. I was out yesterday and moved to a spot in the pm and ended getting a call from daycare and had to bail to go get sick kid. Lost today because of sick kid again so not sure if I can take Friday off.

And what about Pub 199 next week??  :)

And what about Pub 199 next week??  :)

I don't know about him, but I may back out since the new Star Wars comes out on the 15th!!! I am suuuuucch a Star Wars geek!!!!! Lol,

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.