IGNORED

Phil Murphy for Marijuana

A deterrent that prevents the problem we have now from being tremendously larger. No law nets 100 % compliance but if it was legal, just how big of a problem with addiction, and the ills that come with it, do you think we would have? 

As for legalizing pot, that's another bad idea. Plenty of problems come along with that for the same reason stated above: it removes the deterrent. More people walking (or driving) around doped up, burnt out and stupid is not a good thing. Of course, politicians and pot heads love the idea. Pot heads, well, that's self-explanatory and politicians love it because they can tax it, and dumb down the population and continue to get them to vote away their prosperity and freedoms... A Liberal/Progressives wet dream.

Deterrent? I guess I missed the news flash about finally winning the war on drugs. Anyone can get it any time they want it.. You must be kidding me or you live in a total isolation on another planet. The laws making drugs illegal are the Make You Feel Good  laws and nothing more. In fact I believe they only make our overall situation worse by feeding a huge criminal enterprise we can never defeat.  

There is another important part to all of this. In free society the Government should never be allowed to protect us from ourselves. You want to do Cocaine? who am I to tell you no?  

People are against pot, but OK with alcohol, more people die, get hurt operating a car, and machines under influence of alcohol then pot. Alcohol cause many illnesses, pot doesn't, in fact it's proven pot helps stops the spread and kills cancer, and many other illnesses. I seen it first hand what pot does to help a cancer patient, when western medicine like Chemo has failed and in fact the chemo kills

So if one is ok with alcohol but not pot, your hypocrite

Treat the sell of pot as we already do for alcohol, but for the very least allow zero limitations for medical reasons

Edited by BHC

A deterrent that prevents the problem we have now from being tremendously larger. No law nets 100 % compliance but if it was legal, just how big of a problem with addiction, and the ills that come with it, do you think we would have? 

As for legalizing pot, that's another bad idea. Plenty of problems come along with that for the same reason stated above: it removes the deterrent. More people walking (or driving) around doped up, burnt out and stupid is not a good thing. Of course, politicians and pot heads love the idea. Pot heads, well, that's self-explanatory and politicians love it because they can tax it, and dumb down the population and continue to get them to vote away their prosperity and freedoms... A Liberal/Progressives wet dream.

I respectfully disagree.  You're using the same argument liberals use against us.

Liberals will tell you, people walking around with guns means it's going to turn into the wild west.  People will be shooting other people, bullets flying, you name it.  All these people carrying concealed weapons, you'll never know who has a gun and who doesn't.

Legalizing drugs will not immediately create a situation where the general population will become druggies.  Those people with a desire and the means to consume drugs recreationally are all probably doing it right now.  They are also probably walking around and driving around you.  Based on the research being done in other states that have legalized, the percentage of people who consumed marijuana prior to legalization and after legalization has remained the same.  So don't expect a huge explosion of addicts or consumers of drugs.  It hasn't manifested in reality yet.

The side benefit from legalizing drugs is the quality of the drugs.  I know, I know, it sounds silly, but let me explain.  Opioids are killing people because the consumers don't know what is in what they are taking.  They're street drugs with absolutely no quality control.  Because of this, people overdose.  The #1 reason people are overdosing on heroin, is because of the inclusion of fentanyl.  If users and addicts had access to drugs that were appropriately manufactured with know strengths and quantities, there would be very few overdoes.

An additional side benefit would be the adverse affect on organized crime in the US.  It's an easy revenue stream, and by disrupting it through legalization, the black market disappears.  The consumer can either get a quality produce from a reputable source, or they can go to the street and take a risk with their lives.  If the price was competitive, the market would more than likely go with the similarly-priced and higher-quality product than something from a back alley.

Just my thoughts.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Liberals only smoke weed? There are more people that smoke weed then we know...but on the other hand drinking and being drunk is ok then....dude get real times have change.....pot doesn't kill, alcohol does these are facts.

If more people smoke weed things just maybe better in this world more people would be relaxed

I'm far from a Murphy supporter, but this I do support....States that have done this taxed it to help pay off state debt, treat it like alcohol 

if not then fully allow it for medical reasons without restrictions, like California......NJ has limits on the medical aspect 

For medical reasons, which is a really broad canvas I have no issue as the results do show a decrease in pain etc....but the tax vs state debt issue is misleading because the states that do put a portion of of the pot tax$$ toward debt relief don't have that much debt.  For NJ with $209 billion in debt the tax$$ could not even pay 10% of the interest alone.  So the debt pay down issue is a moot point.   The interest is rolling up faster than it can be paid off. 

Making something illegal doesn't stop people from doing it. It just creates a black market and multiple levels of crime around it.

Duly noted.  I'm just not sure that making all drugs legal would make us better off as some have suggested.   People who have criminal records from drug use/sale/purchase would certainly be better off.  Courts and prisons would be less crowded.  But an overall reduction in crime is a hard sell to me.  Crime related to now illegal drugs could be reduced but overall I'm not sure about.

For medical reasons, which is a really broad canvas I have no issue as the results do show a decrease in pain etc....but the tax vs state debt issue is misleading because the states that do put a portion of of the pot tax$$ toward debt relief don't have that much debt.  For NJ with $209 billion in debt the tax$$ could not even pay 10% of the interest alone.  So the debt pay down issue is a moot point.   The interest is rolling up faster than it can be paid off. 

point taken, but every penny counts.....rather pay a small fraction then nothing at all.....cause if nothing is paid thru other means the burden is just placed on folks like you and me

Deterrent? I guess I missed the news flash about finally winning the war on drugs. Anyone can get it any time they want it.. You must be kidding me or you live in a total isolation on another planet. The laws making drugs illegal are the Make You Feel Good  laws and nothing more. In fact I believe they only make our overall situation worse by feeding a huge criminal enterprise we can never defeat.  

There is another important part to all of this. In free society the Government should never be allowed to protect us from ourselves. You want to do Cocaine? who am I to tell you no?  

I said a deterrent, not a sure way to stop it, and I even added no law gets 100% compliance. Of course it's not stopping everyone, but it does stop many, and the fact that we have many less people walking, or driving around, under the influence of drugs, is a good thing. 

As for your last sentence, if you could assure that people will only do cocaine in their own home, and not go out, and not do anything to hurt their wife, kids, roommates, etc, maybe, just maybe you would have a point. But inevitably, what you do to yourself, can, and frequently does, have an impact on others. The question is, does the desire for you to use cocaine to get stoned out of your mind outweigh the potential damage to others?

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Duly noted.  I'm just not sure that making all drugs legal would make us better off as some have suggested.   People who have criminal records from drug use/sale/purchase would certainly be better off.  Courts and prisons would be less crowded.  But an overall reduction in crime is a hard sell to me.  Crime related to now illegal drugs could be reduced but overall I'm not sure about.

Crime related to illegal drugs is a massive part of the judicial system. I can't remember the stats offhand and I'm too lazy to go looking for them. Nonviolent drug offenders are the bread and butter of the system though. Which is sad

The legalization of an opioid derived drug is a bad idea. We need to treat the problem not the symptom though. It all starts with pharmaceuticals companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you insane claiming POT is a form of opioid? More people are screwed up from pain killers then POT......in all my years I don't know one person who is screwed up from smoking weed, but I sure know many who have screwed up lives cause their addiction to pain killers

The FDA, insurance, want you to believe that something so natural like pot can't help people in many ways.  Like cancer patients, they would rather pump people up with chemo, that alone will kill you. other forms of illnesses they rather you go on drugs like opioids to mask the issues, then addiction starts....Please get with the times