IGNORED

Hey Just Joined, Looking for a good Elk outfitter for 2018

Vanilla Killer

Vanilla, if you have no elk preference or bonus points accrued your best bet next year (or unless you can afford to buy a landowner) would be a Colorado OTC archery tag. You can hunt next year guaranteed and start learning elk hunting. In the meantime, start purchasing points next Spring for future elk hunts throughout the West. Are you looking at archery, muzzy, or rifle? If you're interested, I have a reasonably priced outfitter in SW Colorado that might be able to help out. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Vanilla, if you have no elk preference or bonus points accrued your best bet next year (or unless you can afford to buy a landowner) would be a Colorado OTC archery tag. You can hunt next year guaranteed and start learning elk hunting. In the meantime, start purchasing points next Spring for future elk hunts throughout the West. Are you looking at archery, muzzy, or rifle? If you're interested, I have a reasonably priced outfitter in SW Colorado that might be able to help out. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

As I posted above you can buy points in Montana and Wyoming for next years draw right now. You would go in with 1 point. For a general tag in Wyoming you only need 1 point. I have killed 2 good bulls on a general tag, these are my garage quality bulls....IMG_7731.JPG Edited by tjfslaughter

Thanks All, real nice bulls there tjfslaughter. Ive hunted Montana for elk a few years ago but am looking at Wyoming now. The web link posted isnt working and I think you need to get the preference points in January if memory is correct? Did you DIY or go with an outfitter? VK 

Please google "Wyoming game and fish preference point"  The period to buy a point is open NOW.  If you are serious about hunting Wyoming get the point and put in for the draw in Jan.  Your odds of drawing a general tag is pretty good with 1 point.  I hunt the general area and killed a 300" 6x6 and a 370" 7x7.  A member on the other site also went out with me one year and shot a respectable 5x5.  I am heading out again this year for bear as I did not draw Mule deer this year (It takes 3-4 points now to draw).

Thanks got the point yesterday and my SPID number, I am serious. When you say general area does that allow you to hunt state land accross the state? Did you DIY or have an outfitter/guide? Can you put in for a draw without a area designation? sorry for all the questions you have been a big help already. Thanks

Not sure if it was asked, what is your price range to spend on an outfitter. That way it would help more with recommendations. 

SS!

Price and quality of hunt DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND.  You have to set your priorities such as quality of animal you want, quality of service, food, and accommodations.  If you move those around your prices will vary I would not ever go with an outfitter unless a friend recommended them again.  Been burned a few times. 

Yeah would need a good recommended outfitter form someone with experience using them. I've hunted with outfitters with people who have used them before in Montana, Illinois, Canada and Maryland. Will pay a fair price to a good recommended outfitter. Would love to to do a DIY but i just dont have the time these days to be successful at it, I think.     

Focus on the best genetics, the best harvest records by size and the remoteness of the hunt. Forget about the stupid stuff like meals and comfy lodges. JMO

Image026.jpg

008_8-4.jpg

And be ready, AND IN SHAPE, to hike high country. This ain't no whitetail hunt you are going on.

Practice shooting out to 500 yards. practice shooting after your jog a quarter mile and your heart rate and wind are compromised.

Buy good glass.

Have fun.

Yeah would need a good recommended outfitter form someone with experience using them. I've hunted with outfitters with people who have used them before in Montana, Illinois, Canada and Maryland. Will pay a fair price to a good recommended outfitter. Would love to to do a DIY but i just dont have the time these days to be successful at it, I think.     

If you want I can PM you or talk on the phone, regarding the outfitter I use some people would like the trip, but it might not be for everybody.