IGNORED

Coyote Rifle Calibers

Cousin Brown

.223, .22-250, .204. Those three are the top for a reason. Now are you calling dogs or are you sitting over bait(yes I am aware it is illegal in NJ)?

How you are hunting and where plays a role on what cal to use. On a bait you could get away with almost anything due to the distance most likely being shorter and the animal sticking around so you can pick your shot carefully.

Roadking the .17 hmr is a great cal but I wouldn't say it's a great yote cal. I am assuming all your shots were head shots?

Yes head shots. I'm not saying it is the ultimate coyote caliber. It's just the best in my situation. I hunt near Princeton. The max range I can get with the least amount of noise is my goal. Even though I'm doing everything legal, many people in this area have zero tolerance for guns of any kind and the coyote hunting goes down hill quick when the cops show up. Though, I can't say anything bad about the .17hmr. It drops them stone dead with head shots. You just have to respect its limits. I do all of my calling with a FoxPro Firestorm and a mouth call.

Calling but shots are close. 50 yards most likely... ( could do 100 yards also) I don't want to be limited to just head shots, so I guess that eliminates the .17.   

I really like the .204 but that is one loud cartridge.( I have one in a r-15 platform)  (Would a bolt action be quieter in that round?)   I wouldn't mind something a bit quieter.

Edited by Cousin Brown

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

Nah my .204 is loud as well and it is a bolt action. I would say .223 is your best bet overall for what you are saying. However if noise is your concern then look at the .22 mag. The report from that is a dull pop. It isn't super accurate but under 100 you will be fine. I would prefer a 22 hornet over the mag due to the increased range and accuracy but with the increase in speed Comes louder report.

If and when using the 17HMR, the 20gr. bullets would pack more punch.

The 204, 22-250, 223 and 243 could be reloaded up or down to suit the selected bullet performance needs.

Take your pick depending on your hunting situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7mm rem mag. I was out bear hunting last winter in PA and a big yote popped out of a thicket and she did not run too far after it got hit.... It destroyed the top half of the pelt :(

Edited by koz

Thanks for all the replies, after talking with a bunch of people I decided to go with the .22 Mag .  Bought a Ruger American and right out of the box was pretty accurate with Iron Sights free hand.  Report of the rifle is very quiet.  Going to sight it in tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I bought a Savage Bull barrel in .17 HMR also........hehehe..... 

Whats next...............  .223 or 22-250????? Hmmmmmmmmm.................................... :rofl:      

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: