IGNORED

Turkey Gun ??

Lunatic

So now that I am a Turkey slayer :shock: , I killed my first Jake this past season :happywave: , I am looking for a turkey gun. I have a bird gun but it takes no choke and I used my buddies Remington 870.  The experience of last season tells me I need a tough gun with a synthetic stock, like the 870 I used, because this turkey hunting is low to the mud. What should I be looking for in a Turkey gun? Long or short barrel? 2-3/4” or 3” ? Semi or pump? 12GA? How do you select the choke for your gun?  

What are the best Turkey guns out there?

IMO, you are fine with just your regular ol' Remington 870 28" barrel, synthetic stock (I buy my guns to hunt with - so I like the synthetic stocks because you can beat it up when in the woods and not have to worry about taking care of wood; but that's just me).

I bought the SuperMag myself so i can shoot the 3 1/2" turkey loads but honestly I don't think I "really" need it. Longest I've shot a bird was at 35 yards - most are inside of 20 yards which 2 3/4" should be fine. But I just like the boom of a 3 1/2"   :rofl: and it will reach out and touch them if i do need to get out to 40+.

Full or Extra full choke to get your pattern tight - them turkey necks are narrow at distance! :loco:  

I use a mossberg 835 with a carlsons choke. Pick a gun you like and can be mobile with. Once you find that its just shoot and see what distances you will shoot, then see what patterns good. To me the cgoke goes with the load/distance youll shoot. My factory choke was good in the laurel of pa since ahots were under 25yds most times. I switched to field edges and at 50yds that choke sucked.

I for one like the 12ga with a 3.5" chamber. I own two dedicated turkey guns.

Mossberg 835 and I use a Indian Creek Turkey Choke

Remington 1187 Super Magnum with a HeviShot Turkey Choke

Both are fantastic and hold great groups with the choke/ammo I use

At the time of purchasing the chokes I did a lot of reading and decided I these, but there are so many quality chokes and ammo out there, it can get overwhelming

also look into the Mossberg 535, Remington 870, Winchester SXP Turkey, Super X3, each of these six will serve you well

IMO, you are fine with just your regular ol' Remington 870 28" barrel, synthetic stock (I buy my guns to hunt with - so I like the synthetic stocks because you can beat it up when in the woods and not have to worry about taking care of wood; but that's just me).

I bought the SuperMag myself so i can shoot the 3 1/2" turkey loads but honestly I don't think I "really" need it. Longest I've shot a bird was at 35 yards - most are inside of 20 yards which 2 3/4" should be fine. But I just like the boom of a 3 1/2"   :rofl: and it will reach out and touch them if i do need to get out to 40+.

Full or Extra full choke to get your pattern tight - them turkey necks are narrow at distance! :loco:  

Thank for the reply.

I am very rough on any and all equipment I use so the all utility type of gun like the 870 is what I was thinking.

I for one like the 12ga with a 3.5" chamber. I own two dedicated turkey guns.

Mossberg 835 and I use a Indian Creek Turkey Choke

Remington 1187 Super Magnum with a HeviShot Turkey Choke

Both are fantastic and hold great groups with the choke/ammo I use

At the time of purchasing the chokes I did a lot of reading and decided I these, but there are so many quality chokes and ammo out there, it can get overwhelming

also look into the Mossberg 535, Remington 870, Winchester SXP Turkey, Super X3, each of these six will serve you well

Thanks

I have an 870 Super Mag that I wouldn't trade for anything else to hunt turkeys with. 3 1/2 inch. As far as chokes go, that's a tough one. Ya gotta either spend the coin and get a bunch of different ones and experiment with different ammo brands and shot size/length. Or, borrow some chokes and ammo off of some friends and pattern your gun. Some google searches about chokes/ ammo for whatever gun you choose will get you going in the right direction. There can be a huge difference in patterns using different choke/ammo combinations with any particular gun. My 870 Super Mag ended up shooting the Longbeard XR's 3" in #5 shot w/a Primos choke the best. I love the combo I have but it wasn't easy to come up with. Think I ended up buying 4 different chokes and about 6 different boxes of ammo before I hit the right thing. But, when you find it, you can sell the stuff you won't use to someone else whose trying to do the same thing and recoup some of your$. Hope this helps.

Agrre.. 870 express magnum, black synthetic with matted barrel is all I use and it double as my predator gun..or even throw buckshot fine..

Extra full choke for turkeys..

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

OK, looks like I may be on the right track:-)

Thanks Jay

I have an 870 Super Mag that I wouldn't trade for anything else to hunt turkeys with. 3 1/2 inch. As far as chokes go, that's a tough one. Ya gotta either spend the coin and get a bunch of different ones and experiment with different ammo brands and shot size/length. Or, borrow some chokes and ammo off of some friends and pattern your gun. Some google searches about chokes/ ammo for whatever gun you choose will get you going in the right direction. There can be a huge difference in patterns using different choke/ammo combinations with any particular gun. My 870 Super Mag ended up shooting the Longbeard XR's 3" in #5 shot w/a Primos choke the best. I love the combo I have but it wasn't easy to come up with. Think I ended up buying 4 different chokes and about 6 different boxes of ammo before I hit the right thing. But, when you find it, you can sell the stuff you won't use to someone else whose trying to do the same thing and recoup some of your$. Hope this helps.

That's what I expected when it comet to ammo and chokes. There are no shortcuts.

Thanks, I am going to look at the supper mag!

3 1/2 is overkill and not needed. The gun don't make the hunter, the hunter makes the gun. 870 or Mossberg 500, take your pick. It is the old Ford vs. Chevy or Duke vs. Victor argument. 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 1/2 is overkill and not needed. The gun don't make the hunter, the hunter makes the gun. 870 or Mossberg 500, take your pick. It is the old Ford vs. Chevy or Duke vs. Victor argument. 

Well I am a Remington guy for whatever reason so you know what I will buy:-)

I have a Mossburg Ulti-Mag 3.5 inch pump with an extra full turkey choke tube. Have dropped birds at 55+yards with that gun, never needed a second shot. Lots of good info on here you are getting, have fun choosing the gun that fits you. Some guns love different shells more than others and must be patterened obviously. :up: