IGNORED

how do you kill poison ivy!?

I'm used to being wary of running into poison ivy out in the woods, but not in my own backyard!!!

Who has tips on how to get rid of poison ivy plants?

I just found a patch growing in a flower bed. The vines started growing in the middle of another plant, so I never saw it until it grew large enough to creep outside of the plant out in the open. Covers about a 3 square-foot area - so I think I caught it early enough for it to be manageable. I sprayed every leaf and all the stems on the ground I could find with Round Up. Think that's good enough? I wasn't about to start pulling up poison ivy plants - even with gloves I'd be afraid to miss some and have it come back. Hoping the Round Up kills the plant dead down to the roots. After I was done, I washed my hands with Technu - I had this stuff once and had to go to the doctor's for it. Not going through that again.

Use a specialized weed killing spray

RUP2013_PI_Overview_Step2_Image.jpgThe best way to eliminate poison ivy, oak and sumac is to kill the vines with specialized weed killers such as Roundup® Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer products. These products have two specific ingredients in the formula: Triclopyr that fights through the waxy surface of poison ivy, oak, sumac, kudzu and other hard-to-kill weeds, and glyphosate that helps kill to the roots.

Always read and follow label directions carefully. For more information, see How to use Roundup® Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer products.

1. Wait 1-2 weeks for weeds to die

RUP2013_PI_Overview_Step3_Image.jpgAfter use of Roundup® Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer, weeds usually:

1. wilt and curl within 24 hours,
    2. turn yellowish-brown in 3-4 days, and
    3. are completely killed in 1-2 weeks. Perennial weeds such as poison ivy may take 4 or more weeks for complete kill.

Always read and follow label directions carefully.

*Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us your original proof of purchase and we will replace the product or refund the purchase price.

2. Take caution when disposing of weeds

RUP2013_PI_Overview_Step4_Image.jpgDuring disposal, wear rubber gloves, eyewear and clothing that covers all your skin. Place all the poison ivy into a garbage bag along with your gloves. Close the bag tightly and double bag if possible, leaving no part of the plant exposed. Put these bags out with your other yard waste. To avoid a potential breakout, you may want to dispose of your clothes. If you do not want to throw them out, wash clothes separately with warm soapy water and use bleach if possible.

US-Roundup-Poison-Ivy-Plus-Tough-Brush-Killer-Ready-to-Use-5007410-Main-Lrg.png

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Don't pull the stuff!

After using a quality spray, use disposable gloves and throw them away after you remove the dead plants.

Please Remember…… The oil from poison ivy plants lasts over a year on clothing.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Any RoundUp product works well as will others designed to kill vegetation in general.  PI is easy to kill, but it comes back if in the area, so keep at it.  When we first moved here 19 years ago, most of the trees in my woodlot had the dreaded hairy vines growing into most of them.  I waited until mid winter, donned a Tyvek suit, gloves, you name it, and chainsawed all those vines.  Still got a nasty case that required Prednisone, but it took care of 99% of our problems.  Now we just hit new growth with RoundUp and problem solved. 

DRAT! I didn't know Round Up makes something specific for poison ivy - that seems to tell me their regular Round Up formula might not work as good. I'll see what the plant looks like tomorrow - if I see wilting, I'll assume its going the job. Otherwise, I'll go grab some of that stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.

Wow! It has only been less than 2 hours since I sprayed - look at what normal Round Up did (2 hours ago, this poison ivy plant had wide, vivid green leaves - now they are curled and turning brown):

dead-poison-ivy.jpg

(that green plant in the top right isn't the PI :) That's the plant whose space the PI invaded!

Edited by mazzgolf

I heard an old Indian trick was to rub your yambag directly on it for 3-4 minutes.  I don't have any poison ivy in my yard, so I've never tried it. 

Maybe give it a whirl and let us know how it goes?  post pics?

That didn't help at all. Maybe it takes a while? We'll see tomorrow if the plants are completely gone. I do feel a tingling sensation though. Is that supposed to happen?

That didn't help at all. Maybe it takes a while? We'll see tomorrow if the plants are completely gone. I do feel a tingling sensation though. Is that supposed to happen?

I think it takes at least 24 hours until you really see the results.  If nothing happens after the first day, you can always ask your best buddy to give it a whirl.  He may have more potent poison ivy killing capabilities than you do

I heard an old Indian trick was to rub your yambag directly on it for 3-4 minutes.  

Good old Dr. Kuser from Rutgers used to teach dendrology (plants).  He would pick a branch of poison ivy and rub it with his fingers then rub it on his cheeks and talk about how soft and smooth it felt.  Of course half the class would do the same thing, not knowing what it was.  After a few minutes he would tell them it was poison ivy.   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

Good old Dr. Kuser from Rutgers used to teach dendrology (plants).  He would pick a branch of poison ivy and rub it with his fingers then rub it on his cheeks and talk about how soft and smooth it felt.  Of course half the class would do the same thing, not knowing what it was.  After a few minutes he would tell them it was poison ivy.   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

Sucks for the student who fell for it but had to go to the bathroom before the teacher announced what it was.  :shock:

If you plant tomatoes or any other vegetable that all the animals have eaten in my garden .....next to the poison ivy , hopefully the animals may eat the poison ivy by mistake as well as all the vegetables.......eh probably not , they will most likely just eat the vegetables.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE