• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Shot my compound today - 1st time since surgery

23 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 04:31 PM

Last shot I took with my compound would have been the day before early fall bow because I did hunt opening morning, but didn't see my EAB doe that day and then I was getting tests done and then surgery after that.  Since my rehab nurses cleared me for 90 lbs. on Friday of last week, I thought I'd try a few shots today.  Funny how tough it was to draw back since my shooting muscles were out of practice (I shoot some all year round normally).  But there was no pain, so that made me feel good.  First two shots a bit low, so I buckled down and focused and put the 3rd shot in the bullseye of my Blob target with a Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain.  That's it for today.  I'm afraid of overdoing things still, so I'll make sure I feel fine tomorrow and shoot some more until I rebuild my shooting form this spring.

Man, I can't wait to sit in a tree again this fall, even "The Tree"  (hear that, Rusty?)  :)

• Like x 7
  • List

#2 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 04:38 PM

Awesome man! Glad you were able to take a few shots and NO pain is a great thing! As you said, take it slow, don't overdo it...plenty of time! :up:
I'd bring a helmet next time you sit in that tree if Matty is around, hear he likes to kick things! :rofl:
  • Like x 1
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 04:47 PM

Matty is probably more excited to hear this than I am.  He had to cock back Rusty's crossbow for me up in the tree because I couldn't shoot my Hoyt (that Matty originally set up for me) :)

#4 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 05:00 PM

Matty is probably more excited to hear this than I am.  He had to cock back Rusty's crossbow for me up in the tree because I couldn't shoot my Hoyt (that Matty originally set up for me) :)

Matty set up that crossbow too.   :up:

Glad to hear you are able to start shooting again. 

• Like x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   redsquirrel

redsquirrel

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 05:23 PM

That's it for today.  I'm afraid of overdoing things still, so I'll make sure I feel fine tomorrow and shoot some more until I rebuild my shooting form this spring.

You have plenty of time before the season.  No need to rush things!

#6 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 05:27 PM

Really glad to hear this man!!! :up:  :up:  And not just because I don't want to cock your x-bow in a tree anymore. hahaha...

The fact that you're back to shooting a bow...does that mean you feel all healed up? Good as new? I hope so! :up:  :up:

And did I really kick you in the head? I'm getting self-conscious now...I know I have occasional twitches and spasms...and I shake my legs uncontrollably...but not usually a kicker.....lol...

You know I had that video from that day all edited up nice...and my computer froze before I could save it. I'll have to edit it again one day and get it posted. Maybe before the 2014-2015 season. lol

• Like x 1
  • List

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

#7 OFFLINE   runum n gunum

runum n gunum

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 06:05 PM

Great to hear Bri :up: Sounds like your on the rebound

Edited by runum n gunum, 03/11/14 - 06:06 PM.

#8 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 06:12 PM

Great to hear, take your time....best of luck

#9 Male OFFLINE   Gruntmaster

Gruntmaster

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 06:38 PM

Take your time...

Plenty of time from now to the opener.

Get well.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

#10 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 07:54 PM

Slow and steady... Take your time... treat your shooting like working out, give your muscles a little time to recover and get stronger... :up:

Edited by BowTechExperience, 03/11/14 - 07:56 PM.

#11 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 08:10 PM

I only took 3 shots today  :)

#12 OFFLINE   County Hunter

County Hunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 08:41 PM

Good start! What kind of a compound are you shooting?

#13 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/11/14 - 09:36 PM

Good start! What kind of a compound are you shooting?

It's a Hoyt Ultra Tech XT 2000.  

#14 Female OFFLINE   Ms Grit

Ms Grit

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 06:54 AM

That is wonderful news !!! Slow and steady and you'll be ready ;)

• Like x 1
  • List

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

#15 Male OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

Owner of PredaTorch.com

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 01:53 PM

Hey Brian how are you feeling otherwise? Any shortness of breath? Any lower leg pains? Vision well? 

Just thinking of things my pop went through after his bypass.

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

#16 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 02:21 PM

Hey Brian how are you feeling otherwise? Any shortness of breath? Any lower leg pains? Vision well? 

Just thinking of things my pop went through after his bypass.

None of those things are health issues for me, thank God.  I actually feel better now than I have in at least 3 years which is likely around the time I had a heart attack.  Mine was a silent MI, but significant attack.  I had what seemed like a lot of stomach issues which were really bouts of angina (heart pain).  That is common for long term Hodgkin's Lymphoma cancer survivors to have heart issues "masked" by stomach pain due to large doses of radiation and some of the chemotherapy drugs we took.  Since surgery, all those issues are gone.

Cardiac rehab was 36 days over a few months (3X/week) where you work out in a gym under close supervision of specially trained cardiac rehab nurses.  They keep you taking it easy at first until they see how your body tolerates workouts and then ramp you up accordingly.  I've been fortunate in that pre-surgery, I was told my ejection fraction which is the percentage of oxygenated blood your heart takes in from the lungs and then pumps back out into your arteries and throughout your body was down to 25%.  A normal heart functions with an ejection fraction of between 50% and 65% and even world class athletes don't use much more than that.  I was told not to get my hopes up that surgery would give me more than 10% improvement.  My last echocardiogram showed my ejection fraction between 40% and 49% which was better than expected and that was before I started rehab.

So now I need to continue to work out with the treadmill, upright bike, free weights, squats and pushups at least 3 times/week to keep the heart strong.  Today was my final in the gym at the local hospital and my workouts have been about twice as long and as hard as the next youngest guy in my group although I am a fair bit younger than most going through that same rehab.  I'm fortunate to know that my remaining heart arteries do not have fatty build up and remain clear based on the angiogram I had before surgery.  My heart arteries were "calcified" from radiation and my widow makers (main artery that runs down the length of your heart) was 100% blocked, two others were in the mid 90% blocked and the 4th was in the mid 80% blocked range.  With my aortic valve also severely stenotic (didn't open and close properly any more due to radiation), I was lucky I survived my heart attack, whenever it was.  The surgeon did a quadruple bypass and replaced my aortic valve with a mechanical valve instead of a tissue valve (pig, cow or human cadaver) because of my relative young age.  Nice to be called "young" when you're 48, going on 49 in May   :)

So we never know what life has in store for us.  At age 27 I was club racing mountain bikes, hunting and fishing all day and weighed 195 lbs.  Then cancer struck and life changed.  Twenty years later, the heart went out from those cancer treatments and now they've bolted me back together a second time.  In my walking stress test last week, they scored me in the highest percentile cardiac patients can be in and I was actually "cleared for activity including lumberjack", so I should have a few more good years left in this old body.......and no, don't ask me to cut down your trees and split your firewood.   :)       

Edited by Bucksnbows, 03/12/14 - 02:21 PM.

• Like x 3
  • List

#17 Female OFFLINE   NJfarmgirl

NJfarmgirl

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 02:41 PM

I can't even imagine all the struggles you've been through. Thanks for sharing. You have really motivated me to shape up! Keep up the great work and that positive attitude!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#18 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 02:46 PM

I can't even imagine all the struggles you've been through. Thanks for sharing. You have really motivated me to shape up! Keep up the great work and that positive attitude!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks NJfarmgirl.  I just want to be there to walk my daughter down the aisle one day and grow old with my wife by my side.  But if that's not in the cards for me, to have at least lived life to the fullest while I was here and to make a small difference in my little corner of the world.   

• Like x 3
  • List

#19 Female OFFLINE   NJfarmgirl

NJfarmgirl

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 03:04 PM

Thanks NJfarmgirl. I just want to be there to walk my daughter down the aisle one day and grow old with my wife by my side. But if that's not in the cards for me, to have at least lived life to the fullest while I was here and to make a small difference in my little corner of the world.

Ok ok now. Stop making me cry! :)

#20 Male OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

Owner of PredaTorch.com

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 03/12/14 - 03:12 PM

Ok ok now. Stop making me cry! :)

Hey now!!!  At least he didn't say he wanted to walk Matty down the aisle.....

• Like x 3
  • List

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users