IGNORED

PA has them too

What Ahole in there right mind would feel the property owner should expect tresspand

... well, after reading these posts, apparently there are many... Seems there are at least 5 trespassers to every 1 land owner.. Your out numbered 5 to 1.. Surrender... :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

:D

I will say that in PA if the land isn't posted it is considered open for hunting.  It's not like NJ where you actively need to have permission.  So, you do need to thoroughly post your property.

Actually, PA is just like NJ. Just as in PA, in NJ "if land isn't posted it is considered open for hunting" - at least legally it is. In NJ you do not actively need to have permission.

We discussed this law at length on previous threads - don't mean to hijack this one. But to say "PA is different than NJ because in NJ you need permission even if it isn't posted" isn't true.

That's why I tell everyone I know that has land and who doesn't want others hunting it that they NEED to post it, otherwise, people are allowed to hunt their land legally.

Note that the NJ Landowner's Liability Act was written to absolve landowners of liability from persons who are engaged in outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, etc. The purpose of the act is to encourage landowners to allow the general public to have access to the land for some recreational use and induce owners to do so without fear of liability (that's verbage written right into the law itself - see 2A:42A-5.1 - "shall be liberally construed to serve as an inducement to the owners, lessees and occupants of property, that might otherwise be reluctant to do so for fear of liability, to permit persons to come onto their property for sport and recreational activities."). So NJ encourages landowners to allow members of the general public to hunt their property. And when you read 23:7-1 it is clear members of the public are not considered trespassing while hunting unless the land is posted or have been verbally told they do not have permission: "A person who trespasses on the lands of another for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping . . . after notice . . . or after having been forbidden so to trespass by the owner . . . shall be liable. . ."

Read the statutes for the NJ Landowner's Liability Act in 2A:42A-2, 2A:42A-3 and 2A:42A-5.1, and more importantly the "trespassing while hunting law" 23:7-1. I even had a CO confirm my reading of the law - unless land is posted (or you have been told to leave) you can hunt it in NJ as long as everything else is legal (honor safety zones, have proper hunting licenses, permits, etc. etc.).

(and before someone chimes with this one (and someone always does):  "so anyone can just come in my backyard then" - no, that would be illegal for various other reasons.)

Actually, PA is just like NJ. Just as in PA, in NJ "if land isn't posted it is considered open for hunting" - at least legally it is. In NJ you do not actively need to have permission.

We discussed this law at length on previous threads - don't mean to hijack this one. But to say "PA is different than NJ because in NJ you need permission even if it isn't posted" isn't true.

That's why I tell everyone I know that has land and who doesn't want others hunting it that they NEED to post it, otherwise, people are allowed to hunt their land legally.

Note that the NJ Landowner's Liability Act was written to absolve landowners of liability from persons who are engaged in outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, etc. The purpose of the act is to encourage landowners to allow the general public to have access to the land for some recreational use and induce owners to do so without fear of liability (that's verbage written right into the law itself - see 2A:42A-5.1 - "shall be liberally construed to serve as an inducement to the owners, lessees and occupants of property, that might otherwise be reluctant to do so for fear of liability, to permit persons to come onto their property for sport and recreational activities."). So NJ encourages landowners to allow members of the general public to hunt their property. And when you read 23:7-1 it is clear members of the public are not considered trespassing while hunting unless the land is posted or have been verbally told they do not have permission: "A person who trespasses on the lands of another for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping . . . after notice . . . or after having been forbidden so to trespass by the owner . . . shall be liable. . ."

Read the statutes for the NJ Landowner's Liability Act in 2A:42A-2, 2A:42A-3 and 2A:42A-5.1, and more importantly the "trespassing while hunting law" 23:7-1. I even had a CO confirm my reading of the law - unless land is posted (or you have been told to leave) you can hunt it in NJ as long as everything else is legal (honor safety zones, have proper hunting licenses, permits, etc. etc.).

(and before someone chimes with this one (and someone always does):  "so anyone can just come in my backyard then" - no, that would be illegal for various other reasons.)

LOL.  I'm not reading all the crap.  I'll take your word for it.  I stand corrected:  PA is like NJ.  

Read the statutes for the NJ Landowner's Liability Act in 2A:42A-2, 2A:42A-3 and 2A:42A-5.1, and more importantly the "trespassing while hunting law" 23:7-1. I even had a CO confirm my reading of the law - unless land is posted (or you have been told to leave) you can hunt it in NJ as long as everything else is legal (honor safety zones, have proper hunting licenses, permits, etc. etc.).

(and before someone chimes with this one (and someone always does): "so anyone can just come in my backyard then" - no, that would be illegal for various other reasons.)

I wouldn’t say you can legally hunt it but you can’t be charged for hunting it .. Edited by Rdfhunter

LOL.  I'm not reading all the crap.  I'll take your word for it.  I stand corrected:  PA is like NJ.  

:D The only reason why *I* read all that crap was a few years ago I got permission to hunt a piece of property that had lots of trespassers. CO told me I had to post it before they could ticket anyone for trespassing - hunters were allowed to legally hunt it otherwise. When I read the law (specifically 23:7-1) was like "Damn, he's right!". 

I read two pages of this. Those saying they don’t worry about it.....can i give som trespassers your address so they stay away from me? When I caught em in the last I get their name and I post it up. They know about it before the hour is up. I finally purchased my own property this year. And I can assure you that I will go to the depths of hell and back to make an example out of everyone and anyone who I find on it. You aren’t paying my mortgage. You aren’t paying my taxes. I bought this property for me myself and I. So unless your one of the three, god help you.

Read the statutes for the NJ Landowner's Liability Act in 2A:42A-2, 2A:42A-3 and 2A:42A-5.1, and more importantly the "trespassing while hunting law" 23:7-1. I even had a CO confirm my reading of the law - unless land is posted (or you have been told to leave) you can hunt it in NJ as long as everything else is legal (honor safety zones, have proper hunting licenses, permits, etc. etc.).

(and before someone chimes with this one (and someone always does): "so anyone can just come in my backyard then" - no, that would be illegal for various other reasons.)

In nj the land doesn't need to be posted if it is fenced, has livestock, or is crops..

But if it's open woods and not posted you can get away with hunting it..

I know a guy who knows a guy who got caught hunting behind Berkeley college in west paterson.. they pressed trespassing charges on him and he sued the town and won. The land was not posted.

That's what I heard anyway..

Now I believe it is posted..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In nj the land doesn't need to be posted if it is fenced, has livestock, or is crops..

Yeah, I didn't mention fences, but that's part of the "defiant" trespass statute in 2C:18 (and one of the reasons why people can't just come into your backyard if it's fenced or somehow enclosed):

2C :18-3 (b.)   Defiant trespasser.  A person commits a petty disorderly persons offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:

(1)   Actual communication to the actor; or

(2)   Posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders; or

(3)   Fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders.