IGNORED

Anyone need a deer head?

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

NJ 23:4-27.c

Absolutely 100 percent legal to sell raw or processed hide. If you are a Taxidermist, you should have that title and law printed out and handy as a reference to you in your shop. If it's your business, you should "KNOW" not "THINK". Especially if it would be your azz on the hook

According to my tannery, a hide does not include the head.. that's why I assumed illigal to sell a cape.

I know rgs got nabbed years ago for selling capes, and it cost him a boatload to fight.. he won.. but at what cost Screenshot_2017-04-20-22-01-56.png20170420_220249.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

People suck , perhaps you might consider a pay 2/3 the price and your mount gets done in under 6 months , like a express line & when your ready to start ordering material for the other mounts that did not pay the additional up front you ask them to pay an additional costs towards the bill to defray costs . 1/3 , 1/3 & 1/3 on completion. I know this might sound petty but I hate to see business owners get burned . Like Three Blade said if they don't like it you don't need them as a customer . Good Luck

I just read it.. seems to be correct to what I said.. what do you find incorrect?

You are also allowed to sell deer tails along with Cottontail rabbits, Belgian Hares, and jack rabbits legally harvested in another state and brought into NJ. 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Until it comes time to fight itnjn court and you lose everything you ever worked for paying lawyer fees to fight for your rights... dangerous loophole to make a louse few hundred dollars.

No loophole. It's illegal also. NJ 23:4-27.g

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I love when taxidermist post these topics .. Some clueless ppl think it's a get rich over night job that anybody can do.

I have nothing but respect for my guy. I owe him 65 for a grey fox skull and am trying to figure when I can drive down to pay him.

People suck , perhaps you might consider a pay 2/3 the price and your mount gets done in under 6 months , like a express line & when your ready to start ordering material for the other mounts that did not pay the additional up front you ask them to pay an additional costs towards the bill to defray costs . 1/3 , 1/3 & 1/3 on completion. I know this might sound petty but I hate to see business owners get burned . Like Three Blade said if they don't like it you don't need them as a customer . Good Luck

All sounds great except it's time consuming enough to chase 200 customers a year for pickup.. imagine the chaos if I had to track them down 3x a year for payments along the way... more time than its worth.

I'm going to accept credit cards next season-proces will go up to cover the 3%

I wonder if it's legal to keep their credit card numbers and have them sign a preapproval contract, so if they don't pick up the head in 60 days, I have the right to run their card and add on $100-$150 for crate build+ shipping and just run the charge and ship the mount to them.. would be nice if legal..

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Reading through these posts, I can honestly say that I feel Jay's pain. It wasn't all that different being a butcher...in the heat of the moment, guys were excited to drop off their deer, have the whole thing made into jerky and keilbasi or hot dogs, then when it was time to fork over the $75, nowhere to be found... I probably heard every hard luck story invented by man over the 20 years I was a processor. Nobody had any clue how much labor was involved, or what it cost for supplies, to pay helpers, or run 3 freezers and a walk-in cooler for 5 months a year, all of this came out of my pocket whether they paid me or not. I also didn't want to get involved with deposits, I tried that for a while, and the usual answer was, "I'm a little short on cash this week, but I'm good for it", or "Do you take Visa?".  And that's only part of the headache involved, there was the customer service aspect, and dealing with that drama... :shakehead:

Sorry for hijacking the thread Jay.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

What he is doing is LEAGAL in NJ, you can sell the hide and feet of a deer but no other parts. He is only getting paid for his time and materials plus labor to convert a mount to yours.

Edited by tuny

All sounds great except it's time consuming enough to chase 200 customers a year for pickup.. imagine the chaos if I had to track them down 3x a year for payments along the way... more time than its worth.

I'm going to accept credit cards next season-proces will go up to cover the 3%

I wonder if it's legal to keep their credit card numbers and have them sign a preapproval contract, so if they don't pick up the head in 60 days, I have the right to run their card and add on $100-$150 for crate build+ shipping and just run the charge and ship the mount to them.. would be nice if legal..

Credit Cards are not the answer and can end your business.  They are no guarantee for payment.  Take a DAY and read all the fine print attached to the agreement. for the seller.   Example--- I pay you with Master Card after receiving the product and I am not satisfied  I call Master Card and put the charge in Dispute. payment is stopped along with your account is frozen. Are you big enough to Handle what follows, It is all up to you to show proof of Purchase, Satisfaction not the Buyer.  

AS far as keeping the card on record that ain't going to happen.  Even Amazon is held to that standard and has an A to Z guarantee for disputes. The buyer has the Power.   

Answer very simple A deposit is required covering whatever you feel is fair. If a customer has a problem let them go to another business.  

Your work and quality of work is what keeps you in business. NOT GOOD WILL. The customer is just that not Family.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Capes are free if available. .. sometimes they are not available, then purchasing one for $100-300 (pending size ) is often common.

As for your taxidermist doing mounts for cheaper, there might be a reason for that...

Maybe he gets health insurance cheap through his wife's job

Maybe he tans his own hides

Maybe he doesn't insure his ups packages when shipping to a tannery

Maybe he uses cheaper eyes

Maybe he uses caulk as glue instead of hide paste

Maybe he uses bondo in the ears instead of plastic earlier

Maybe he buys cheap inacureate forms

Maybe he works for cash and hides his income

Maybe he doesn't have business insurance

Maybe his property taxes are low so he needs less income each year than me

There are a lot of variables that will change price from 1 guy to the next. There are a lot of corners to cut that you can not see in photos.

There are a lot of guys who just plain don't know how to price a job

There are guys who just want to get high numbers and will lower their price to undercut the competition

Too many variables that no one but he knows. None of my business. I don't know him.

Yes but at the end to your consumers is about two things. Price and quality of work and many are willing to pay for quality.