IGNORED

Climbing Harness Set Up

dlist777

With season upon us, I’d thought I’d give the group my climbing harness set up.  I used to use a standard hunting harness.  My main concern with a hunting harness is falling and hanging and not being able to recover on my own.  I hunt alone and I go deep a lot.  So, it’s really up to me to get myself out of that situation.  Note:  I am not saying this is the only set up or the best.  It works for me.  It might give you some ideas if you are thinking of switching over from hunting harness to climbing. 

As you know, the big advantage of a climbing harness is that if you fall, you’re facing the tree and your leaning back a bit so there is no pressure on your legs.  You can hang pretty much forever and it’s a lot easier to get back to your sticks or a ladder if you get stuck. I tried some of those controlled descent devices to use with a hunting harness.  But, they are all bulky and I don’t want to carry all that line in with me each time. 

The big negative with climbing harness is they don’t come with lineman’s loops.  So, if you use a hang on and need to use a lineman’s belt, then you need to figure out how to add one on your own.  So, l’ll show you my solution.  I implemented this last season and it took a bit of tweaking but this is what I came up with. 

First, I selected the Vario Speed Harness from Black Diamond.  https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/144431/black-diamond-vario-speed-harness.  Its every easy to get on and off.  The one thing you should consider is if you have to piss.  This one is no problem, just unzip and go.  Some harnesses have a section that drops down in the middle and will get in the way.  You don’t want to have to take  your harness off to go. 

Second, I purchased these tie down loops: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AS5QC1C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I double looped them around the area shown in the picture below where the arrows are.  I looped each twice and then put a zip tie.  The zip tie isn’t supporting any weight, it’s just preventing the loop from pulling back through and un-looping when I throw it in the truck. I made a lineman's belt by getting some line, creating a loop in one end, and then attaching an ascender to the other end.  https://www.rei.com/product/130302/wild-country-ropeman-2-ascender.  The ascender is not necessary...you can just use a prussic knot or similar.  However, I like the ascender because it's very easy to work with one hand.  Basically, to tighten the rope, you just pull it through the ascender.  To loosen, you need to take pressure off of the line, then lift the teeth of the ascender and then you can loosen.  But, if you have a lineman's belt you like, it will work fine with this set up.  

Finally, when I'm in the tree and all settled, I just use an old HSS rope style tree strap I have.  I tie it around the tree like a normally wood and tighten the prussic knot so it doesn't slip.  Then, I attach a double loop end rope under my shoulder to the belay loop (the big loop on my harness).  I hunt with a xbow and it never gets in the way.  I think most compound guys will find it interferes less than a standard harness as it won't get in the way when you draw back.  

I added two bungee ball loops to each side as well.  I just put climbing sticks in there to hold while I'm climbing.  

I used this about 1/2 of last season.  The advantages are the recovery, more comfort, easier to get a jacket on or off without having to take off your harness.  I don't find the extra loop to be an issue (that it goes under your shoulder to the front)...but some may not like this.  Also, there are other ways to attach lineman's loops.  See DIY sportsman.  I just found this method very easy and reliable.  Theoretically, you could just use the belay loop to attach your lineman belt, but you'll find it rubs up against your sticks and becomes hard to work with.  

Climbing Harness.jpg

Rhino Loops.jpg

Harness with Loops.jpg

Lineman Rope.jpg

ascender.jpg

tree rope.jpg

tree ropoe with extension.jpg

bungee loops.jpg

Edited by dlist777

I don’t know, it appears you re-invented the wheel so to speak, when you can buy a hunting harness that has lineman’s loop. 

You mention recovery as one of your main purposes for assembling this system, but I’m not clear on how this allows easier recovery, and how not having shoulder straps is a plus. Can you show any pics of how you would hang using this system is you fell? And how your attached to the tree?  Maybe I’m just missing the advantages here. 

To each his own, but when the safety harness is properly used with the tree loop above your head (while standing), and then tight when you are sitting down, actually pulling you up, it is a very nice feeling.  I can even lean forward and it holds me while I snooze.:up:

Edited by Nomad

15 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I don’t know, it appears you re-invented the wheel so to speak, when you can buy a hunting harness that has lineman’s loop. 

You mention recovery as one of your main purposes for assembling this system, but I’m not clear on how this allows easier recovery, and how not having shoulder straps is a plus. Can you show any pics of how you would hang using this system is you fell? And how your attached to the tree?  Maybe I’m just missing the advantages here. 

So, when you fall on a traditional, you are hanging from a point between your two shoulders.  All the weight is on your groin and the arteries leading to your legs.  If you hang there for a while, you can get something called supsension trauma.  A rock climbing harness is designed for rock climbers who have to hang all the time.  Here are a few videos that show the advantage in self-recovery:

https://youtu.be/oAXN5wWSZko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktc7_n0tbI

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

45 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

The shoulder straps help from flipping over and if you dont have them then its no good. 

That's not correct. the fall in Nomads picture is because the climbers leg is stuck.

Lots of video from guys falling wearing a rock climbing harness,' your body's natural center in a fall doesn't try to turn you upside down ,

Also when used correctly with a the shorter rabbit runner lanyard you would have to try and do a hand stand and then fall as its not long enough for you to turn over  and in a fall it turns you to the tree.

Dlist I don't believe the area you improvised is suited for holding your weight, the leg straps aren't meant as weight bearing.

To use that harness as a linemans belt a better method  would be a single carabiner or tree climbers snap , and tied the way a tree climber does by using a slide knot and cinching it to the tree,

I will try and get a picture up today or tomorrow, it makes us of the whole harness as intended

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

D list .

Simple arborist knot .

Tie it to line you throw atound the tree. Thrn slide it tight against tree trunk . 

Allows you to clip right to your climbing  harness to the belay loop, as well as adjust simply to any size tree

20180902_181206.jpg

20180902_181403.jpg

20180902_181449.jpg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have close to the same setup as you, just picked it up and put it all together weeks ago. The ascender is a awesome addition over the prussic knot! I picked up a harness with linesmen rings. I used it to hang a set today and it work awesome and never felt safer!

This setup from what I researched is way safer than traditional 5 point harnesses! You won’t die in five minutes after the blood is cut off and you won’t be hanging with your back to the tree so it makes climbing back up much much easier. 

4E728B77-D771-4185-9DBF-D41D2CF64E48.png

57 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

That's not correct. the fall in Nomads picture is because the climbers leg is stuck.

Lots of video from guys falling wearing a rock climbing harness,' your body's natural center in a fall doesn't try to turn you upside down ,

Also when used correctly with a the shorter rabbit runner lanyard you would have to try and do a hand stand and then fall as its not long enough for you to turn over  and in a fall it turns you to the tree.

Dlist I don't believe the area you improvised is suited for holding your weight, the leg straps aren't meant as weight bearing.

To use that harness as a linemans belt a better method  would be a single carabiner or tree climbers snap , and tied the way a tree climber does by using a slide knot and cinching it to the tree,

I will try and get a picture up today or tomorrow, it makes us of the whole harness as intended

Yup Dlist already schooled me 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, dlist777 said:

So, when you fall on a traditional, you are hanging from a point between your two shoulders.  All the weight is on your groin and the arteries leading to your legs.  If you hang there for a while, you can get something called supsension trauma.  A rock climbing harness is designed for rock climbers who have to hang all the time.  Here are a few videos that show the advantage in self-recovery:

https://youtu.be/oAXN5wWSZko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktc7_n0tbI

Thanks for the info and links DL. I am totally aware of the suspension trauma potential for a harness, but I have to say, it did appear there was also tension on his groin area on the video. Some of the other reasons he mentioned were not accurate I believe. The distance he fell with either harness appeared exactly the same. He also had his back to the tree ( which I don’t feel is an issue, you simply spin yourself around) with the climbing harness. You still need a descension mechanism with either harness if you totally lose your stand from beneath you. His main gripe other then ST, was the tether, but the climbing harness was tethered in front of him, which didn’t allow him to spin around either, yes it was less intrusive regarding drawing a bow however. 

So, it appears that the greatest advantage would be less potential for suspension trauma, and I guess that is a valid consideration for all of us, so we as hunters have to ask ourselves (and I imagine the TMA along with the harness makers also have to ask themselves ) what are the chances that we’d be hanging from a tree with your stand, and steps, totally gone from beneath you? What are the odds, how many times has someone died from, or been in the position, that they could not descend from a tree while hanging in a harness? 

I don’t have the answers to these questions, but I would like to see that type of data before I went to a system without shoulder restraints. 

Oh yeah, and one of my biggest concerns with this climbing harness is the guy in the video did a very controlled “fall” if you can call it that, it was more like he stepped off the platform. I’d like to see someone wearing one of those fall backwards off the stand and see if they stay upright, I don’t believe they would. I think they would look just like the climber in that one pic, you would be upside down. That is impossible with a shoulder harness system.

So, if what I’m saying is accurate, you them have to decide what is your worse fate, possibly hanging upside down in a harness with no shoulder straps, or, hanging upright with the potential for ST if you can’t relieve the pressure or climb back onto your stand, which info it’s still there, there’d be no reason you couldn’t climb back on.

Any videos of climbers falling (uncontrolled) using the climbers harness?