IGNORED

The bucks are starting to move

jerseybowhunter

What about peeing from your stand during the early season? When we are close to the rut I never hold back from letting it fly on stand but Im always hesitant during the early season and use a bottle.

It won't scare them away at any time of the year so there's never a time that you would need to carry a bottle.  And, once the velvet comes off testosterone levels go up so a buck could be attracted in October even though they are not running around in a frenzy.

Also, does are attracted to urine as well.  I've peed out of a tree and had does come in with their noses up and go right to the pee. Just don't piss on their heads like tcook, that's just plain rude. 

Last week I watched a 7 point chasing a doe hard. She walked out into the field and he took off on a run after her and chased her back into the woods. He returned alone a little while later and when two small bucks came into the field he let out a snort wheeze. It was the first time I ever heard that in person. The buck was only about 10 yards away from me and the noise surprised me! I've been watching sparring and antler tickling matches for a couple of weeks already.

I try to start one scrape with a dripper just in case the deer dont hit it right away. I cant stop by and pee in it every night LOL. Once the deer hit it and keep it active you can take the dripper away. I usually like to leave it so I know I have one scrape that is been dripped on during the day, everyday. My other scrapes Ill just pee in to start and hope the deer keep it active.

IMG_2645.JPG

Here's a mock scrape I started just over a week ago using a daytime dripper. The scrape is now twice its original size and there are lots of prints in it from deer as well as licking branches chopped off by the bucks that are visiting it. I pulled the dripper off yesterday to use in New York state this weekend. You can see the dark stain on the ground directly under the dripper if you look closely at the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with peeing out of your tree is not the smell, but the noise it makes hitting the leaves down below. A steady strong stream hitting the leaves 20 feet below is an unnatural and alarming noise that can be heard for a long ways! Now there are two ways to prevent this. One is to piss down the side of a nearby tree. Pissing down the side of the tree your stand is in can make for a slippery and messy decent and not recommended. lol My new favorite method is to control the flow, on and off, on and off, to make the pee hitting the ground sound like a squirrel hopping thru the dry leaves.

what Nomad said - i try to hit a spot of dirt, between leaves. When peeing from the stand, it's not the urine, but the sound that will give it away. Try to find a soft landing... I was hoping Ms Grit would weigh in on this???

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….