IGNORED

Incredible buck recovery - must read!

JHbowhunter

I saw no signs of infection.

Ageee with tagging it, just saying if it did clip a lung your fine but if it died from liver clip I stay away,I've harvest a few that I got next day with liver shot and they were ok to eat but still tasted different

Edited by Haskell

if the blood was contaminated from a infection the blood would be black which means a lack of oxygen....it's very possible he could have had the broadhead inside of his gut sack a clipped lung or liver they're resilient animals.my cousin killed a huge buck several years ago on ft dix that was hit by a car and managed to live until he met my cousin a large portion of the deer had to be discarded the meat was black as night

I never saw so many ticks on a recovered deer - that might have been the source of blood loss :)    I take it he was laying in high grass and not moving much all week.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'm wiling to bet that arrow snapped off outside the deer and the broadhead was still inside you guys just never poked around enough to find it and has he moved around it winded up killing em

SG  I gutted it. Trust me no BH in deer. It was shot from stand, the inner cavity showed a hole just under spine (touching heavy bone) mid section, and never poked the other side and nothing floating around inside. Even the trail camera that captured the shot showed the arrow barely penetrated. Some portion of bone slowed it down to block penetration, he probably ran though some thick stuff to extract it or pulled it out himself with his teeth.   I always say - over 30 years bow hunting, I learn something new with every shot  whether it be mine or someone else's

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

similar story...shot a nice 8pt last yr that was previously shot. From the looks of it...a compound hunter (alum. bolt) took a crappy shot from the rear. Arrow skipped off ribs and up into neck.

Deer made it until I found it resting, got up and kind of hopped away. I ended it for him. Entrance hole from bolt was already full of maggots.

I butchered and tried a backstrap, but it was inedible, even though he was alive and butchered within 4hrs.Real shame he had to end like that.