IGNORED

Got my EAB Doe...strange tracking

dlist777

Sometimes you won't hear a crash because they just lay down,I had it happen a few years ago. I watched him lay down and expire. Blood trails are funny,sometimes they just don't bleed outside the body,but you should've found something. If you want to get experience in blood trailing,once you find the deer,follow the bloodtrail back to the shot,this way you can see where the heavy blood starts after the point of impact and learn about blood splatters. If you don't mind answering,what part of zone 8 do you hunt? As far as Tom the Butcher,I can't believe people still use him,considering he was arrested in a major drug bust and also charged with the illegal use off venison.

Sorry if you already answered this but what broadheads are you using?

125 grain grim reapers.  They definitely opened, flew straight, and did their damage.  The exit hole was decent size.  As others have suggested, I probably just missed the blood trail in my excitement.  

Sometimes you won't hear a crash because they just lay down,I had it happen a few years ago. I watched him lay down and expire. Blood trails are funny,sometimes they just don't bleed outside the body,but you should've found something. If you want to get experience in blood trailing,once you find the deer,follow the bloodtrail back to the shot,this way you can see where the heavy blood starts after the point of impact and learn about blood splatters. If you don't mind answering,what part of zone 8 do you hunt? As far as Tom the Butcher,I can't believe people still use him,considering he was arrested in a major drug bust and also charged with the illegal use off venison.

Can't speak for the OP, but Tom is the best buther in the area.  The illegal use of venison was an absolute joke  (as far as I understand) and I hadn't heard anything about a drug bust.  Care to share some details, an article, etc?

Nice job congratulations. ..as Jack said there was some sign as little as it may be in the first couple dozen yards.... Remember there is always some sign from the hit (broadheads have to cut hair)to the dead deer(tracks tiny drops of blood) ...It's a good idea in this situation after you find the deer to back track the trail as far as you can to where the shot took place

back-tracking to the original point of impact is something I try to always do - even in the dark.  To be quite honest - I pretty much learn something new EVERY single time I release and arrow on live game.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Can't speak for the OP, but Tom is the best buther in the area.  The illegal use of venison was an absolute joke  (as far as I understand) and I hadn't heard anything about a drug bust.  Care to share some details, an article, etc?

I know some of the cops involved in the investigation,I know it's a fact. You want info,do your own search.

I know some of the cops involved in the investigation,I know it's a fact. You want info,do your own search.

The drug bust or the illegal meat sale issue?  I'm just looking for info.  If you say the guy is bad news, please share a link.  My searches haven't turned up anything about a drug arrest.  Just the meat issue and the freedom of speech stuff from when he was younger.

It's not like I'm friends with the guy or anything.   Just a guy who likes a good butcher and wants to know the truth.  I'm sure some of the other people here feel the same way.  

Sometimes on a downward angle shot from above an intestine or something clogs the lower hole & there really is no blood . It's happened to me several times over the years. I'm a pretty good tracker & I've backtracked from dead deer to arrow multiple times & there really was no blood trail. The dead giveaway is when u see far more blood than normal when gutting. Always grid search

Edited by gregtpal