IGNORED

Single pin vs Multi pin

Turkeyslayer

I have been using a multi pin site for all my life and I do enjoy it but I have been considering making the change to an adjustable single pin. 

To the people who have made the change what was reason and how do you like it

Edited by Turkeyslayer
adjustable

after years of using multi pins, I went to single pins and never looked back, for me it was simple, and never any guessing on what pins to use nor any confusion in the heat of the moment. I always used HHA single pins, not sure of the model back then and I know they have many models these days to pick from

35 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

I have been using a multi pin site for all my life and I do enjoy it but I have been considering making the change to single pin. 

To the people who have made the change what was reason and how do you like it

I like shooting 3d with a single pin due to less clutter and ease of finer aiming .

IMO a single pin for hunting can be a deterrent.

you set pin for an expected shot , deer moves in a different way .

now you need to either readjust or gap shoot the already set pin .

i think it’s easier to just have 2 or 3 pins and you know what each one is at ALL times .

need to adjust on a deer that moved from the 15 yard line to the 30 before giving you a good clean shit . Just settle the correct pin with no effort or guessing 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I recently switched to single pin and I like the uncluttered sight view but having to make adjustments on game last minute is a pain in the ass.
i changed because I was have a problem with a newly installed string constantly twisting and aperture of peep being obscured , I thought it was my sight at first because I use progressive lenses …. so I changed sight thinking less is more and  I’ll need to focus on only one pin… Had a new peep installed but still twists slightly after a few shots. I’ve been shooting 40 years and never experienced such a problem with a peep 🤷🏼‍♂️

sorry I hijacked your post :happywave:

I shoot both depending on  what/ how I’m hunting.

Treestand hunting I use a movable single pin.

For spot and stalk hunting I use a 3 pin sight that  15-25-35 yard setting and I can reach out to 45 yards

I used a recurve and compound bow for over 30 years.  Trad shooters use "instinctive" shooting with no pins. That is knowing your bows trajectory at different ranges. Same applies to single pin. You have to know the POI at various ranges. Even if you use multi-pins and range incorrectly, it won't work. Pick your option and practice with it. If you know how your bow shoots at various ranges and you estimate it properly, you will be good. A faster bow will be more forgiving than a slow bow, but no compound bow shoots fast enough to hold at one aiming point and get close to POI at ranges out past 30 yds or so. You still need holdover/under with a single pin. 

I used a pendulum bow sight toward the end of my compound bow days. Don't see any talk about that anymore. :hmmmer:

Edited by archer36

55 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

I recently switched to single pin and I like the uncluttered sight view but having to make adjustments on game last minute is a pain in the ass.
i changed because I was have a problem with a newly installed string constantly twisting and aperture of peep being obscured , I thought it was my sight at first because I use progressive lenses …. so I changed sight thinking less is more and  I’ll need to focus on only one pin… Had a new peep installed but still twists slightly after a few shots. I’ve been shooting 40 years and never experienced such a problem with a peep 🤷🏼‍♂️

sorry I hijacked your post :happywave:

Put on a new quality string. It isn’t your peep. 

15 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I used a recurve and compound bow for over 30 years.  Trad shooters use "instinctive" shooting with no pins. That is knowing your bows trajectory at different ranges. Same applies to single pin. You have to know the POI at various ranges. Even if you use multi-pins and range incorrectly, it won't work. Pick your option and practice with it. If you know how your bow shoots at various ranges and you estimate it properly, you will be good. A faster bow will be more forgiving than a slow bow, but no compound bow shoots fast enough to hold at one aiming point and get close to POI at ranges out past 30 yds or so. You still need holdover/under with a single pin. 

I used a pendulum bow sight toward the end of my compound bow days. Don't see any talk about that anymore. :hmmmer:

The single pins being talked about are adjustable.   My hha sight in at 20 and 60 and you get a number for the sight tape to use.  You now adjust the dial from to desired range.  There is no more guessing on trajectory

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

The single pins being talked about are adjustable.   My hha sight in at 20 and 60 and you get a number for the sight tape to use.  You now adjust the dial from to desired range.  There is no more guessing on trajectory

The OP said nothing of the sort. Maybe other posts did but I addressed the OP. :nonono:

20 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Because single pins today u don't need s pendulum.   Unless taking off other pins there are not many single pin sights that aren't adjustable 

Just now, vdep217 said:

Because single pins today u don't need s pendulum.   Unless taking off other pins there are not many single pin sights that aren't adjustable 

Agree. I don't think they had adjustable, HHA type sights back then when pendulums were used. To me, a pendulum is superior. It adjusts automatically and does not require movement. But the drawback in a pendulum is it is limited in range. I guess an adjustable single pin can have a longer range than a pendulum. I don't know if those ranges are reasonable or practical but nonetheless, can be used. 

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Agree. I don't think they had adjustable, HHA type sights back then when pendulums were used. To me, a pendulum is superior. It adjusts automatically and does not require movement. But the drawback in a pendulum is it is limited in range. I guess an adjustable single pin can have a longer range than a pendulum. I don't know if those ranges are reasonable or practical but nonetheless, can be used. 

I set mine at 23 or 24 yrds when in tree so I'm good out to 30 yrds with same aiming point and negligible poi difference from 15 to 30.

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I set mine at 23 or 24 yrds when in tree so I'm good out to 30 yrds with same aiming point and negligible poi difference from 15 to 30.

Yes, you found the sweet spot. If you aim "center mass", you are good with the small POI change. Underestimate your yardage by 5 yds and aim for the heart and you will have a miss though. There are NO infallible methods. 

Edited by archer36

38 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The OP said nothing of the sort. Maybe other posts did but I addressed the OP. :nonono:

I was talking about the modern single pin where you adjust I don’t think I would I would go from multiple ranges to a single pin with only one range if I couldn’t adjust it

4 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

I was talking about the modern single pin where you adjust I don’t think I would I would go from multiple ranges to a single pin with only one range if I couldn’t adjust it

I was responding to a post saying "adjustable" when the word "adjustable" was not in your original thread. I did not make an assumption you were taking about anything other than a single fixed pin. :whatever: