IGNORED

Fresh Batch of Summer Sausage

Nanuk

Had some older venison in freezer and since I had the grinder out to process one of our member’s deer I thought it was a good time to replenish my stock.

Ground and mixed 60/40 venison to pork ratio, added  LEM Jalapeño Summer sausage mix , High temp Pepper-Jack and Cheddar . Tastes as good as it looks . 

IMG_7554.jpeg

IMG_7556.jpeg

IMG_7568.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7578.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Roon said:

Looks great I'm betting the mixer is a game changer 

Most definitely, when I started I only did 5-10 lbs at a time to sample but we liked the out come so it only made sense to buy once we started doing larger batches . Once you take all that equipment out you try to make as large a batch that will fit in my smoker which is twice a year for me. Cleaning and sanitizing is what I dislike the most . 

2 hours ago, allmann said:

what smoker do you use? looks like my smokenit.  Do you use a fan to draw out the moisture? 

Cookshack Amerique 

my process 

• remove from frig for an hour 

• place in smoker with door ajar at  150degrees  for 1 hour to remove moisture . Wet casings will not receive smoke flavor properly. 

• add wood chips bring temp to 160-165 for 2 hours . This usually gets sausage up to 130 internal temp. 

• max out temp on smoker,  mine is 30o degrees . I remove chip box and add pot of boiling water on top of heating element to steam cook sausages to internal of 155-158 (153 is safe but I take no chances) 

Hope that clarifies the process  

On 1/16/2024 at 10:25 AM, Nanuk said:

Cookshack Amerique 

my process 

• remove from frig for an hour 

• place in smoker with door ajar at  150degrees  for 1 hour to remove moisture . Wet casings will not receive smoke flavor properly. 

• add wood chips bring temp to 160-165 for 2 hours . This usually gets sausage up to 130 internal temp. 

• max out temp on smoker,  mine is 30o degrees . I remove chip box and add pot of boiling water on top of heating element to steam cook sausages to internal of 155-158 (153 is safe but I take no chances) 

Hope that clarifies the process  

Awesome thank you