IGNORED

who has been to the "long range" Millville public range?

mazzgolf

(I'll start this thread rather than hi-jack that other thread about long range shooting)

I wanted to ask who here has used the Millville public range (they say it is "long range" -- it's 200 yards; "long" for NJ, I guess :) )

What are your thoughts on the safety of the place? How does it work there when you need to go downrange to put up/check targets?

The range I'm a member at only goes up to 100 yards. I would like to get out to at least 150 or 200 for some of my .308 and .223 shooting... the Millville range sounds perfect for what I want to do, but I don't trust the riff-raff in this state that go to public ranges and who doesn't follow range etiquette and proper safety protocols. I wonder how it is at this range; how have people conducted themselves?

I was there a couple times to sight in a rifle in 2020 for an elk hunt. I went on weekdays and early. At least once there was one maybe 2 people there. Just have open communication with the other shooters.  Riff raff don't go early in the morning. Both times there was an older lady cleaning up the place. She was/is a volunteer for the state. Had a NJ fish game shirt on. 

44 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Do they have target holders? I assume they don't (Makepeace doesn't - that's the only public range I've ever been to, I assume all public gun ranges require you to bring your own target holders).

BYOTH :)

1 hour ago, mike033089 said:

Best target I have found to use is a realtor sign. They left it when I bought my house and it’s great. I just use it as a frame and cut cardboard to snap into the center. 

Brilliant idea I put the laugh emoji because I envisioned a weichert sign getting decimated 😆 🤣 😂 

1 hour ago, Buckeyes11 said:

Used it multiple times with zero issues. Same as others have said. Go early And avoid weekends 

I used to do service calls in the Millville close up range 4 and D street area 😆 🤣.  2 attempted to carjack me at 130 am on a no heat call.  Floored the van and they dove out of the way.

15 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

I used to do service calls in the Millville close up range 4 and D street area 😆 🤣.  2 attempted to carjack me at 130 am on a no heat call.  Floored the van and they dove out of the way.

Should have backed up and tried again to hit them, Irish kids?

27 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

4 and D street area 😆 🤣.  2 attempted to carjack me at 130 am on a no heat call.

I've driven the outskirts of Millville plenty of times in the past (just passing through)... I've always heard stories of it being a not-so-nice place, but I never noticed anything untoward.

But since you gave an actual cross-street, I had to look it up -- 4th and D... Millville... Let's virtually drive around using Google StreetView and see what it is all about...

https://goo.gl/maps/3q6W5gaK1F3RArx57

Um.... is that an ankle monitor?!?!??!

3 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Best target I have found to use is a realtor sign. They left it when I bought my house and it’s great. I just use it as a frame and cut cardboard to snap into the center. 

2 hours ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Brilliant idea I put the laugh emoji because I envisioned a weichert sign getting decimated 😆 🤣 😂 

Load up every November on politicians signs. They never pick them up even though they are required too. Got a stack in my shed.  Lol. 

15 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I've driven the outskirts of Millville plenty of times in the past (just passing through)... I've always heard stories of it being a not-so-nice place, but I never noticed anything untoward.

But since you gave an actual cross-street, I had to look it up -- 4th and D... Millville... Let's virtually drive around using Google StreetView and see what it is all about...

https://goo.gl/maps/3q6W5gaK1F3RArx57

Um.... is that an ankle monitor?!?!??!

😆 🤣 😂 😹 wow just as beautiful as I remember 😆 🤣 😂