IGNORED

Trapping near Others

55 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Pm me your phone number if you're interested in partnering with me next season. I am retired too you know.

That ain't what I'm looking for. I'm looking to clear up the beef that you said you have with me.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Sorry, but I am too old to have a beef with anyone. When I first started trapping in the Meadowlands back in the 1970's, there were many trappers catching 1,000- 1,500 muskrats a season. These old timers were as tough as nails. As soon as a new guy showed up, they would steal all your traps. I couldn't tell you how many brand-new Victor Woodstream #110's I lost out there to theft. That was back when there were muskrats everywhere. Now, like everywhere else, muskrats are not as plentiful out there and there are a lot more city rats destroying just about every muskrat you catch. There were smashed colony traps littering the creek beds and rusted out bodygrips were to be found from money trappers who never came back.

Some of these guys had so many traps out that they wouldn't get around to checking all of them until about every three days. There were not as many city rats back then, so they got away with less damaged rats as we do today. Back then muskrats were selling for $8.00, and the price of gas was under a dollar per gallon. So, it was profitable for them and they wanted to protect their turf. In another section of Berry's Creek, I was running traps at night with my canoe. There was another old timer who thought the rats were his and he would steal my catch during the day. 

So, I have had my run ins with all types of trappers over the years. Some were very nice people.

57 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Sorry, but I am too old to have a beef with anyone. When I first started trapping in the Meadowlands back in the 1970's, there were many trappers catching 1,000- 1,500 muskrats a season. These old timers were as tough as nails. As soon as a new guy showed up, they would steal all your traps. I couldn't tell you how many brand-new Victor Woodstream #110's I lost out there to theft. That was back when there were muskrats everywhere. Now, like everywhere else, muskrats are not as plentiful out there and there are a lot more city rats destroying just about every muskrat you catch. There were smashed colony traps littering the creek beds and rusted out bodygrips were to be found from money trappers who never came back.

Some of these guys had so many traps out that they wouldn't get around to checking all of them until about every three days. There were not as many city rats back then, so they got away with less damaged rats as we do today. Back then muskrats were selling for $8.00, and the price of gas was under a dollar per gallon. So, it was profitable for them and they wanted to protect their turf. In another section of Berry's Creek, I was running traps at night with my canoe. There was another old timer who thought the rats were his and he would steal my catch during the day. 

So, I have had my run ins with all types of trappers over the years. Some were very nice people.

A ton of respect for you!

Do you remember when Kearney was giving a dollar per rodent rat

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

19 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

A ton of respect for you!

Do you remember when Kearney was giving a dollar per rodent rat

Thanks! I was in the area of Berry's Creek in and around Carlstadt and East Rutherford. Mainly behind the old Rt 3 Drive-In Theater and along the many railroad tracks in the area. So, I was not in the Kearney Marsh. There were muskrats everywhere back then. Even after an area was hit hard others, you could still make a respectable catch. Not like that anymore.

1 hour ago, trapoholic said:

Those were your words, not mine. You actually stated "personal beef". Page 6 of this thread, second post. 

Screenshot_20230407_193022_Chrome2.jpg.a4b688acbd39ba011f251c27a73b7163.jpg

Edited by Bucndoe

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

26 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Thanks! I was in the area of Berry's Creek in and around Carlstadt and East Rutherford. Mainly behind the old Rt 3 Drive-In Theater and along the many railroad tracks in the area. So, I was not in the Kearney Marsh. There were muskrats everywhere back then. Even after an area was hit hard others, you could still make a respectable catch. Not like that anymore.

Remember the route 3 drive in.

Movie's flea markets Swap meets and such.

Then one day life change foreverhttps://images.app.goo.gl/XUyHynZkHW7uK6Uu9

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

Those were your words, not mine. You actually stated "personal beef". Page 6 of this thread, second post. 

Screenshot_20230407_193022_Chrome2.jpg.a4b688acbd39ba011f251c27a73b7163.jpg

It looks like you are still having a problem with me! How long are you going to drag this on? I do not appreciate your constant instigation. Why can't you let anything go? And would you please stop harassing me!

Edited by trapoholic

26 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Time to put each other on ignore if you don't want to talk it through. 

That's all I offered to do. I did not instigate, name call, or harass. I offered to have an adult conversation instead of internet banter. I tried.

20 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

That's all I offered to do. I did not instigate, name call, or harass. I offered to have an adult conversation instead of internet banter. I tried.

I agree, you wanted a conversation but he doesn't appear to want to have it, so it's just time to move on and ignore each other.

• LPJR locked this topic