IGNORED

Trapping near Others

How far do you set away from others?

I found some spots I liked this year, but saw a few sets  so I moved on to other pastures.  I have not seen any other trappers while I was out setting or checking on public land.   I like to be away from anyone else, which is almost impossible in NJ, but it can be done.  I figured if someone beat me to the area they could have it.  So what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

As a kid some of us local kids would trap the same farm, and we would meet before the season to divy the farm up as to where each of us was going to trap that year. If you were trapping upland critters and me muskrats then it didn't really matter who was trapping where. Maybe find out what the other trapper is targeting and if there is no overlap then have at it.

Good answer remind's

12 minutes ago, tuny said:

As a kid some of us local kids would trap the same farm, and we would meet before the season to divy the farm up as to where each of us was going to trap that year. If you were trapping upland critters and me muskrats then it didn't really matter who was trapping where. Maybe find out what the other trapper is targeting and if there is no overlap then have at it.

Good answer remind's me of crackerjack's

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Be the first there on opening morning. On numerous occasions in the past, I would get to a beaver flowage on opening morning at 5:30 AM. With the flowage previously scouted, you will know exactly what traps you will need at each location. Exactly at 6:00 AM start setting and don't look back. Move quickly and get to the next flowage ASAP. You want to beat your competition to the next set. Always start out at the best looking spot to assure that you get it. 

Funny story here.

In Maine this past fall, opening morning of the general trapping season, one of the local trappers and myself were "Leap Frogging" each other at every other bridge on this 13 mile loop logging road. While I would be setting up a bridge, he would drive past me on the dirt logging roads doing about 60 MPH to claim the next bridge. Then I would drive past him at 60 MPH. We must have looked like "The Dukes Of Hazard"! Surprised neither one of us didn't get killed that morning. Crazy! But it was worth it! And fun!

1 minute ago, trapoholic said:

Be the first there on opening morning. On numerous occasions in the past, I would get to a beaver flowage on opening morning at 5:30 AM. With the flowage previously scouted, you will know exactly what traps you will need at each location. Exactly at 6:00 AM start setting and don't look back. Move quickly and get to the next flowage ASAP. You want to beat your competition to the next set. Always start out at the best looking spot to assure that you get it. 

Funny story here.

In Maine this past fall, opening morning of the general trapping season, one of the local trappers and myself were "Leap Frogging" each other at every other bridge on this 13 mile loop logging road. While I would be setting up a bridge, he would drive past me on the dirt logging roads doing about 60 MPH to claim the next bridge. Then I would drive past him at 60 MPH. We must have looked like "The Dukes Of Hazard"! Surprised neither one of us didn't get killed that morning. Crazy! But it was worth it! And fun!

No arguments over it?  Just a "respected" understood of first come, first serve?

In New Jersey, it is common courtesy and also the unwritten rule, that during the Permit Beaver Season, whoever sets up the flowage or colony first claims it for themselves. And that also holds true when trapping under a bridge. There are so few trappers today in NJ that there is plenty of room for everyone. If you get to a bridge, and someone else has a trap underneath, walk up and downstream a short distance and set your traps. The idea is to catch the fur before it gets to your competition's traps. One thing is for sure, he won't catch what is already in your trap!

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

I try to trap as close to other trappers as possible, as they scouted for me and makes things easier and saves time. It is kinda like when Quik Check puts up a store & Wawa builds across the street. Ingenius for sure.

@JHbowhunter follows that same strategy when hunting big bucks...

You don't want people to know you are there and they don't want you to know that they are there. Go elsewhere or you stuff will disappear.

There are people on here who have screwed people out of areas they trapped for years because they wanted to "tag along". They then went and set the same areas and said "I was here first, too bad. Thanks for showing me your spots".  Be cautious of the advice you get on here, it may be from one of those very same people. They are here.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

36 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

In New Jersey, it is common courtesy and also the unwritten rule, that during the Permit Beaver Season, whoever sets up the flowage or colony first claims it for themselves. And that also holds true when trapping under a bridge. There are so few trappers today in NJ that there is plenty of room for everyone. If you get to a bridge, and someone else has a trap underneath, walk up and downstream a short distance and set your traps. The idea is to catch the fur before it gets to your competition's traps. One thing is for sure, he won't catch what is already in your trap!

That's great advice if want to go for a swim while looking for your teeth

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Trappers are not like deer hunters. 

We do not intentionally set close to another trappers line. 

We reach out to each other when someone gains access to a property to see if someone is already there. 

I have come across trappers on my line. Most didn't know i was there, were teaching youth or didn't belong there. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

2 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

You don't want people to know you are there and they don't want you to know that they are there. Go elsewhere or you stuff will disappear.

There are people on here who have screwed people out of areas they trapped for years because they wanted to "tag along". They then went and set the same areas and said "I was here first, too bad. Thanks for showing me your spots".  Be cautious of the advice you get on here, it may be from one of those very same people. They are here.

I am sure there are people on here who have done just that. But most trappers are naturally good sportsman.

1 hour ago, ub1243 said:

Trappers are not like deer hunters. 

We do not intentionally set close to another trappers line. 

We reach out to each other when someone gains access to a property to see if someone is already there. 

I have come across trappers on my line. Most didn't know i was there, were teaching youth or didn't belong there. 

Not true, when I was a kid I checked my trap lines before school on foot, so getting to the swamp or river I had to walk down a few roads. To make a long story short a guy on his way to work would seeing me carrying rats home and figured out where I was trapping, within a week he was set up in all my spots. Still pisses me off until this day..lol