IGNORED

Will the Bears Stay Awake?

Rusty

You and me both.  I've put a lot into it this year, more than in the past.  This week will show me if my work and change of tactics keeps them coming in during daylight as in the past as soon as we changed the clocks, they mostly went nocturnal on me.  But this year I moved the bait much much closer to the heavy swamp cover they are coming from, so I am hoping that the sense of security will keep them coming out in the daylight.  

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

You and me both.  I've put a lot into it this year, more than in the past.  This week will show me if my work and change of tactics keeps them coming in during daylight as in the past as soon as we changed the clocks, they mostly went nocturnal on me.  But this year I moved the bait much much closer to the heavy swamp cover they are coming from, so I am hoping that the sense of security will keep them coming out in the daylight.  

Good luck, I hope it pays off for you.  :up:

Is temperature the only factor that starts them denning up?

I am sure there are others who have more knowledge than I do, but I believe it has to do with available food source, body fat and temperatures.  Also, the males do not 100% hibernate.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

I am sure there are others who have more knowledge than I do, but I believe it has to do with available food source, body fat and temperatures.  Also, the males do not 100% hibernate.

torpor baby, it's a thing.

I also got the GPS coordinates for all the bear dens in a 500mi radius of my house, even the ones way out in the Atlantic and ordered my RPG from Sportsmans Guide so when the time comes to roust them from their dens it is a simple "click, FAWOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSH." and I gots me my bear.

#bearcult

Prior to the start of the 5-year hunt, they were active throughout the six-day seasons, seemingly plaguing the hunt.  The first year of the hunt, like clockwork, they arrived first thing and my son shot one.  Same thing the second year - I got one pretty easily.  Third year, I didn't see one until the Friday of six-day and I shot that one just as it was walking through a swamp. Next two years, the went MIA from Thanksgiving weekend until about the second week after six-day.  Now, given the amount of bears I counted via cam pics and taking into account weather, I'm not sure what the cause for the temporary disappearance was.  While I strictly hunt private land, I attributed it to these reasons:  1) the influx of hunters on adjacent lands caused them to re-route and or sit tight and/or 2)  I got out-baited, as I really do not put much effort into it.

This year, I am going to save all my bait until the Wednesday of six-day, and put it all out at once.  I think the novelty of something new might cause them to come check it out.  I am also thinking that if the standing corn remains standing through six-day, I might be able to shoot one using that as a food source and maybe not even need to bait.

Well, I'll just put this out there . . .

Anybody who shoots one and doesn't want the meat . . . I will take all unwanted bear meat . . . I love it !!!

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Both of these spots I'm in I only hunt during the bow season. They are over run with hunters during 6 day. Hunted it once with my son and it was a disaster. I'm going to take my blind and cameras out the week of thanksgiving, leaving the tree stand in place. Once 6 day is over I'll put the blind back up and hunt winter bow.