IGNORED

What type of shotgun for pheasant hunting? (sxs, o/u, semi auto, etc)

JD48

For some reason I'm an odd ball and don't like shooting doubles weather side by side or over under but I do like the way they look.. so it's pump or semi for me.  I like a variety and will often switch guns but tword the end of last season I bought an sti 28 guage and love it after getting some issues worked out.  I think the 28 is the perfect bird gun dosent blow them to pieces if to close but can still knock them down a good ways out.

I owned a Browning BSS (side by side) in 20 ga. Fixed I/C and Mod choke.  Killed tons of Pheasant with it over the past 40 years. The best upland gun I ever shot. Sold it because the value was up and don't do a lot of Pheasant hunting anymore. Now I use my Franchi O/U in 12 or 20, or a Beretta Semi. None of them have the feel and swing of the SXS. O/U's became the craze. They were nicer to look at than SXS and were not your Grandpa's gun. 

Shoot what fits you. 

Edited by archer36

17 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Always use sxs, 12,16,20, you say

Yes sir 

Ithaca 20ga SxS choked skeet/improved cylinder. 

CZ bobwhite in 20ga with chokes 

Stevens 311 12ga.  M/F barrels.  Doesn't shoot birdshot the best but loves Winchester 2 3/4" 1buck. It's rolled many a deer. 

Edited by Swamprat

1 minute ago, Swamprat said:

Yes sir 

Ithaca 20ga SxS choked skeet/improved cylinder. 

CZ bobwhite in 20ga with chokes 

Stevens 311 12ga.  M/F barrels.  Doesn't shoot birdshot the best but loves Winchester 2 3/4" 1buck. It's rolled many a deer. 

Nice line up you got, i go with

L.C. Smith Ideal grade 12 ga.

Ithaca- NID 16 ga.

S and W Gold Elite 20 ga.

10 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I owned a Browning BSS (side by side) in 20 ga. Fixed I/C and Mod choke.  Killed tons of Pheasant with it over the past 40 years. The best upland gun I ever shot. Sold it because the value was up and don't do a lot of Pheasant hunting anymore. Now I use my Franchi O/U in 12 or 20, or a Beretta Semi. None of them have the feel and swing of the SXS. O/U's became the craze. They were nicer to look at than SXS and were not your Grandpa's gun. 

Shoot what fits you. 

Always liked the Browning BSS, the 12's were a little on the heavy side

8 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Nothing wrong with a 12 ga. If you hunt over a dog, just use low brass and open choke. Otherwise, a Mod with high brass loads will work for those birds getting up 20 yds away. 

20 ga is nice to cut down on weight.

Like I said above the 28 I think is the perfect bird gun @Codaboywill attest that it knocks birds down outside of 30 well chukars any way.  But weight wise my browning 20 is a bit lighter

8 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Like I said above the 28 I think is the perfect bird gun @Codaboywill attest that it knocks birds down outside of 30 well chukars any way.  But weight wise my browning 20 is a bit lighter

Not everyone can own multiple guns. They have to use one gun for Upland, Waterfowl, Deer, etc. I said "nothing wrong with a 12 ga" for that reason. It all comes down to preferences. Nothing magical about a 12, 16, 20, 0r 28 ga. It comes down to versatility if you need it.

A 20 ga is more versatile than a 28. You can use "hevi-shot" and easily take down Turkey and Waterfowl. 

Again, not saying the 28 ga is not a good "bird" gun, just saying sometimes people are looking for more versatility. :happywave:

Edited by archer36

28 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Looking forward to trying the CZ 28 ga pump i picked up last year, maybe at Bent Creek, have you used your 28 ga. for pheasant yet?