IGNORED

Georgia huntin info….

Bonefreak

Anyone contemplating getting out of jersey…Vidalia GA sounds like a good spot. 

I was on the phone w a guy from Tackle Warehouse ordering some crawdad lures and I asked him how the turkey season was down there. He said it was awesome!  He said if they heard a bird they pretty much got him….no incidents of birds getting henned up. I mentioned I been following GA DNR Biologist Dr Chamberlain n his studies of declining turkey populations down there but the guy seemed to be seeing plenty of birds. 

he said he pays $2500 to lease about 700 acres….bout 50 deer hunters and bout a dozen turkey hunters. Opening day of deer is busy and so is the rut around thanksgiving but other times you have plenty to land to hunt. They have boar too and can hunt something pretty much year round. 

Vidalia GA is known for its onions and is in between Savahanna and Atlanta and seems like a nice spot.  Just to the SE is a town called Santa Claus!!  Lol

he said he was raised deer dogging in south GA cuz that was the only way to get em out of the swamps but they don’t deer dog in Vidalia. 

some interesting out of state huntin info!

I can't imagine having to pay thousands on a lease to be able to hunt. I get it some people WANT to do that and have the place to yourselves, but it sounds like in many parts of the country that's the only way to be able to hunt - the loss of publicly accessible hunting grounds is getting to the point where you NEED to pay to play. At least in NJ, there's a bunch of free public land you can actually hunt and be successful. And that includes waterfowl as well as deer and turkey. I read about some of the crazy "public blind" permitting systems in places like Virginia and I wonder how anyone can get into waterfowling down there without "paying to play". https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/locked-out-restrictive-duck-blind-laws-keep-waterfowlers-from-hunting-public-water/280348 ... "Nor can a hunter anchor a boat or even stand in the marsh within 500 yards of another blind, even if that blind is unoccupied."

7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I can't imagine having to pay thousands on a lease to be able to hunt. I get it some people WANT to do that and have the place to yourselves, but it sounds like in many parts of the country that's the only way to be able to hunt - the loss of publicly accessible hunting grounds is getting to the point where you NEED to pay to play. At least in NJ, there's a bunch of free public land you can actually hunt and be successful. And that includes waterfowl as well as deer and turkey. I read about some of the crazy "public blind" permitting systems in places like Virginia and I wonder how anyone can get into waterfowling down there without "paying to play". https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/locked-out-restrictive-duck-blind-laws-keep-waterfowlers-from-hunting-public-water/280348 ... "Nor can a hunter anchor a boat or even stand in the marsh within 500 yards of another blind, even if that blind is unoccupied."

Yup. I don’t like the idea of paying to hunt either. Putting meat in the freezer should be economical….it shouldn’t end up costing $50/lb to put venison ….or fish ….for that matter….in the freezer. 

the question is then …what states offer the most public land opportunity for quality, economical huntin n fishin …for deer n turkey….bass n trout 

22 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Yup. I don’t like the idea of paying to hunt either. Putting meat in the freezer should be economical….it shouldn’t end up costing $50/lb to put venison ….or fish ….for that matter….in the freezer. 

the question is then …what states offer the most public land opportunity for quality, economical huntin n fishin …for deer n turkey….bass n trout 

I would say nj your pretty close to the top with oppurtunity to hunt and fish to bad the politics I'm jersey suck

21 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

economical huntin n fishin …for deer n turkey….bass n trout 

...n goose and duck... and pheasant and quail...

:)

I read that article about the crazy watefowl restrictions in VA and NC and MD and I'm glad I hunt in the bays, rivers, and marshes of NJ and don't have to deal with that.

I complain a lot about NJ hunting and fishing regs (and about NJ in general :) ) but then I wonder, "is the grass really greener? or am I only looking at the negatives but ignoring the positives?"

17 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

...n goose and duck... and pheasant and quail...

:)

I read that article about the crazy watefowl restrictions in VA and NC and MD and I'm glad I hunt in the bays, rivers, and marshes of NJ and don't have to deal with that.

I complain a lot about NJ hunting and fishing regs (and about NJ in general :) ) but then I wonder, "is the grass really greener? or am I only looking at the negatives but ignoring the positives?"

There has got to be something greener than dirty jersey….right??!!  Lol

18 minutes ago, DonW said:

It is said that Kansas has over 1 million acres of Walk-in hunting/Fishing alone.  Plus all the WMA's and state parks that allow hunting. We have plenty of public land, and around where I live, most of the time you have the property all to yourself.

My pal did a DIY bowhunt in Kansas 20 yrs ago and shot a Medusa of a buck!!  Always wanted to check it out!!  But lil skeptical bout tornadoes!!  Ugh

49 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

My pal did a DIY bowhunt in Kansas 20 yrs ago and shot a Medusa of a buck!!  Always wanted to check it out!!  But lil skeptical bout tornadoes!!  Ugh

No tornado worries in my part of the state Sir, we had some close calls but nothing too close. 

1 hour ago, Bonefreak said:

I also remember federal military properties can offer some incredible huntin n fishin opportunities if u have clearance to get on

FT. Riley has a nice Elk herd. I spoke to a Game Warden last season on opening day, he had just got done checking in a nice bull a young man shot.