IGNORED

Very, very, very preliminary poll.

Pathman

Hey all, my club in Bridgewater NJ is exploring the idea of offering  an archery only membership to the general public.  Interested parties would likely be able to join as an individual, or a family membership may be offered. 

The pic shows the range a few years back, since then we have added a fire pit (with all the firewood you can burn), lighting on all targets and in the firing line area, a few 3-D deer targets, picnic tables (cooking over the fire is common), trees stump seats around the fire pit, a shed to store targets and other equipment.
We also have an older Blob target on a rolling cart for BHs, but will likely purchase a new one if this idea comes to fruition, or you can bring your own BH target. 

Members would have access to the range 7 days a week from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM. Each member would get a swipe card for entry into the clubhouse for use of the restrooms. 

We’d like to get an idea of the level of interest in this sort of membership, so the poll questions are;

> Would you be interested in a membership in a private range like this?

> How often do you think you would use the range? 

> What would you expect to pay for an individual yearly membership?

> What would you expect to pay for a family membership?

> An FID would likely be required for membership, would that be an issue for you?

Thanks in advance for your interest and responses. 

John Z,

SCFGPA Archery Chairman. 

62B37BCB-22B3-4C42-9DA2-18AE8EE39FAF.jpeg

Really nice set up John.  I think it's a great idea and would get a lot of use, especially if you had promotional days where you offered shooting lessons for those with little or no experience.  

If I had to guess I'd think the average person / family might come once a month?  

I have no idea what a membership should be but if I had to come up with a number I'd say $100 for individual and $150 for a family??  

4 hours ago, Recurve hntr said:

I might have missed it but what’s the name of your club?

Somerset County Fish&Game Protective Association.

I usually don’t write it out, it’s too damn long!😂

The club’s origins date back to 1921, and we are celebrating the club’s 100 year anniversary this June (postponed from last year). 
The club members back when the club started, realized that there was a high level of poaching happening, and not enough game wardens to control it. So they decided to supplement the state wardens efforts to help conserve the local fish and game populations, hence the club’s name. 
The club was originally located on the property that is now Duke Island Park in Bridgewater, but subsequently the county made a swap with the club for the land it’s currently on a couple of miles away. 
The club is primarily a firearm related facility (there is a website SCFGPA.org if you’d like to get additional info) but the archery interest has been growing since we built the range   in 2009. 
I designed the range, and with the help of a great crew of guys, we got it built over one weekend, and then continued to improve it over the years. 
We do occasionally host “archery days” where we introduce archery to youngsters and local residents. 
We also host hunter Ed classes (archery only) at the club. 

General membership is currently closed, but will likely open up again in January. Stay tuned to the website if you’re interested in general membership, but for now I’d just like to determine the interest level for the possible archery membership, and your continued thoughts on the idea. 

Thanks. 

Nice looking range! Wish you were closer.Are you allowing Crossbows? Mahwah range gets 60,LPA gets 100. plus work days. Cherry Ridge which is gun and bow gets 175

Edited by toxo

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Nice looking range! Wish you were closer.Are you allowing Crossbows? Mahwah range gets 60,LPA gets 100. plus work days. Cherry Ridge which is gun and bow gets 175

Yes crossbows are allowed and there is a shooting bench available for their use. 

Thanks for the info! 

Curious as to why the possibility of requiring an FID for membership ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, Pathman said:

Any idea how many members Mahwah range has?

No,They get 60 for non  Bergen County Residence and 20 for residents I think SR Residents are free.  Bergen county all of a sudden took interest in the range and together with the Bergen Bowman have it in great shape.

Edited by toxo

5 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

Curious as to why the possibility of requiring an FID for membership ?

To become a general member of the club requires an FID for the obvious reasons. 
The board feels, given the fact that firearms are regularly on the premises, even though this would be an archery specific membership, ensuring we don’t allow any felons on the property through requiring an FID would be doing our due diligence to protect the club and it’s members. 

1 hour ago, Pathman said:

The board feels, given the fact that firearms are regularly on the premises, even though this would be an archery specific membership, ensuring we don’t allow any felons on the property through requiring an FID would be doing our due diligence to protect the club and it’s members. 

That would potentially eliminate the nonhunting families that might be interested in getting into recreational archery.  

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

That would potentially eliminate the nonhunting families that might be interested in getting into recreational archery.  

Yes that’s true Rusty, however, we are kinda targeting families that would have at least one member on a site like this that is outdoor related, so the odds would be someone in the family has an FID. 
 If we don’t have enough interest from outdoor families, we may then go to the general public, and we’d then have to determine another way to “background check” potential members. 

Quoting you John

We do occasionally host “archery days” where we introduce archery to youngsters and local residents. 
We also host hunter Ed classes (archery only) at the club. 

No fid needed?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Quoting you John

We do occasionally host “archery days” where we introduce archery to youngsters and local residents. 
We also host hunter Ed classes (archery only) at the club. 

No fid needed?

Yes, but they’re not there when club members are not. 
If they become members they’d be on the grounds alone. 
And it was generally cub scout and Girl Scout groups!😂

Edited by Pathman

20 hours ago, Pathman said:

What are the obvious reasons ? An FID is not required for certain firearms exemptions in NJ statute. It also isn't going to ensure felons are not on your property without a criminal background check. If it's to promote firearms ownership, how about an NRA Membership requirement ? 

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."