IGNORED

Some Basic Training

Weather been good for training glad to see you taking advantage. What kind of drills were the first few videos. Should still be some woodcock around I only got one day on them in the beginning of the month but it was very productive putting up 13 birds I believe 

4 hours ago, smittty said:

Weather been good for training glad to see you taking advantage. What kind of drills were the first few videos. Should still be some woodcock around I only got one day on them in the beginning of the month but it was very productive putting up 13 birds I believe 

No real drills just doing some voice and whistle commands. We just started some water work. The water is cold. She really loves to swim

7 hours ago, Batsto said:

No real drills just doing some voice and whistle commands. We just started some water work. The water is cold. She really loves to swim

Did you force break her or is that natural. You can tell she has a lot drive. But I have to admit two thing that has me pulling my hair out is the whistle and the sit command in the field. But that’s just me owning pointing dogs my whole life. Looks like you’re doing a great job. 

2 hours ago, smittty said:

Did you force break her or is that natural. You can tell she has a lot drive. But I have to admit two thing that has me pulling my hair out is the whistle and the sit command in the field. But that’s just me owning pointing dogs my whole life. Looks like you’re doing a great job. 

The sit command is a big command for flushers. The dog learns to stay within shotgun range and honor other dogs.  

36 minutes ago, Batsto said:

The sit command is a big command for flushers. The dog learns to stay within shotgun range and honor other dogs.  

Yes I understand that and like I said she’s looking good. Was she force broke

Edited by smittty

28 minutes ago, smittty said:

Yes I understand that and like I said she’s looking good. Was she force broke

No force break. She holds most dummies really well and delivers to hand. There are couple of feathered dummies she drops before she delivers, but that will end. 

Edited by Batsto

21 minutes ago, smittty said:

Very good 👍🏻 

She really surprised me yesterday. Where we walk there is huge wet swamp and she has been chasing frogs and flushing some migrating woodcock, so I decided to throw a feathered dummy in some real thick mucky stuff. Approximately a 30 yd toss. Well the darn dummy got lodged under some roots. She heard it land, but didn’t have a solid mark, she worked that area for 4 to 5 mins until she pulled that sucker out of the roots.    Impressive persistence! Can’t teach that. 

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

For some reason I can't see the videos.  When I click on the link, this is what I see.  @BowhunterNJ

BTW: I see the very same thing. And have always seen this same thing when people attach videos directly to posts. I tried Chrome and Firefox - neither worked. To see the videos, I have to do some complicated stuff in order to download it and watch it - things people won't be able to do if you are on your phone or don't "know computers" (I had to look at the source HTML, find the html tag that embeds the video, get the URL from the tag, go to a command line and use "wget" to pull down the .mov files, then watch using VLC :D).

It could be because these are .MOV files, not .MP4 (that's just a guess).

cc @BowhunterNJ

5 minutes ago, Batsto said:

She really surprised me yesterday. Where we walk there is huge wet swamp and she has been chasing frogs and flushing some migrating woodcock, so I decided to throw a feathered dummy in some real thick mucky stuff. Approximately a 30 yd toss. Well the darn dummy got lodged under some roots. She heard it land, but didn’t have a solid mark, she worked that area for 4 to 5 mins until she pulled that sucker out of the roots.    Impressive persistence! Can’t teach that. 

Yup some dogs just get it good for you. I hate force braking unfortunately I have one that just turned two that I’m gonna have to force this summer. He’s a bird finding machine just turned two this week rock steady to wing and shot and has had 200 birds killed over him but don’t retrieve but half the time. So lucky me has to force him.