IGNORED

Favorite Fishing knot?

I use many...no clear favorite. Depends on situation. I use a knot similar to a uni at times, a Palomar knot, snell, & anything 80 lb or more I use crimps (mini crimps). I have NEVER had a crimp fail and often are smaller than knots. Use fg knot for braid to flouro in some instances or do loop to loop (cats paw).

Being predominantly a fly angler, I need to be proficient at many knots. It wouldn’t make sense to attempt a one size fits all mentality. I use the nail knot, non-slip mono loop, double and triple surgeons knots (and loops), clinch and improved clinch, Bimini twist and others. 

I mainly use the improved cinch knot to tie on terminal tackle and flies.

I never was able to tie a blood knot so I use two interlocking ICK's to tie a tippet to the fly line leader.

A Davey knot is as strong as an ICK and generally easier to tie. However I've never been able to tie it on 6X or 7X leaders. I don't use it on heavy salt water setups because with the heavy mono it's pretty easy to tie the ICK. Another reason I don't use the Davey knot is because I use it so infrequently I always forget how to tie it without looking at Knots by Grog.

I use the nail knot to attach leaders to fly line that doesn't have a loop. It is difficult to tie that knot with the thick stiff end of the leader. I make the nail knot with a short piece of 30# braided, then loop the other end. 

For circle hooks I tie a snell knot. Purchased circle hook rigs always come with a snell knot. I believe that is necessary for the circle hook to be a self setting device. I make my own rigs. My knots are not as pretty as the machine tied ones, but are just as strong and allow the circle hook to operate correctly. Tying my own also allows me to vary the leader length; leader diameter (usually 60#) and circle hook size.