IGNORED

CWD Laws- how to bring a deer into NJ for taxidermy

New laws are preventing hunters from bringing their deer (deer, Elk , moose, etc) into the state without first removing the parts of the deer that spread CWD (brain, spine, eyes, etc)

That causes an issue for hunters wanting their trophies mounted by NJ taxidermists.

Your options:

-Leave your deer in another state to be mounted

-maybe a butcher will offer this service (and hope they know how to do it properly)

-have an out of state taxidermist just cape the animal and clean the brain cavity for you to bring back to NJ and have your taxidermist mount (don't feel funny asking- we do it all the time for non residents.)

- skin the animal yourself, and this is a detailed video I made today showing you how:

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I looked into this last year regarding NYS deer and it was no problem....Has something changed?
Yes- new jersey laws now say no deer from any other state allowed across our border unless debunked. Skull cap is allowed as long as brain and brain tissue is removed.

7 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Yes- new jersey laws now say no deer from any other state allowed across our border unless debunked. Skull cap is allowed as long as brain and brain tissue is removed.

That's ridiculous especially since where I hunt in NY is near the state line. Any deer I would shoot probably crosses the state like on the hoof multiple times a day.

I'll still get the NYS license if only for coyotes an turkeys

In addition to removing all the material as shown in the video you are required to soak the skull cap in a bleach solution before it is legal to bring into NJ.  That part could result in weakened skull plates and bleached antler bases.

Here is the wording from the state:

Deboned meat, finished taxidermy heads, bleached skulls and skull caps, hides and buglers are permitted to be imported into New Jersey. Skull plates, antlers or skulls from which residual brain tissue has been removed should be soaked in a 30 percent bleach solution for 15 minutes.

Environmentally friendly and bio degradable.Non-chlorine bleach won't damage the skull. Instead of chlorine it uses hydrogen peroxide like we use from Sally's to whiten our european mounts.

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/chlorine-free-bleach?

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

In addition to removing all the material as shown in the video you are required to soak the skull cap in a bleach solution before it is legal to bring into NJ.  That part could result in weakened skull plates and bleached antler bases.
Here is the wording from the state:
Deboned meat, finished taxidermy heads, bleached skulls and skull caps, hides and buglers are permitted to be imported into New Jersey. Skull plates, antlers or skulls from which residual brain tissue has been removed should be soaked in a 30 percent bleach solution for 15 minutes.
Last I heard that was "reccomended" but not required[emoji848]

Bleach wouldn't be a good idea for bone strength. It would deteriorate the bone over time. 30% is alot of bleach..
I wonder if peroxide is acceptable [emoji848]

Worst thing is- these skullcap and skulls are not ending up in contact with a a deer. They are going inside peoples homes.
Even if you have a deer mounted in the state it was shot the skullcap is not soaked in bleach- so if you can bring a mount back the unbleached skullcap under the hide is making it illegal.
This is the most ridiculous law.. like gun laws- not doing anything to help the cause. Just adding more regulations to make certain people feel good. The only law needed is : "do not throw animals parts in the woods- use your trash can." Thats the best thing that can be done and anything beyond that seems like a far stretch to appease someone politically.