IGNORED

flying with a bow. lock selection

Panderus

Thanks for all the help choosing a case on the other thread, here is another question. Should I go with TSA locks or regular locks. I'm leaning towards regular ones as I don't trust those bastards and if they want to see inside I'd be happy to open it up. Let me know if there is a reason i should consider tsa locks. also any other tips and tricks for airline travel with a compound bow welcome.  

8 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

I use this SKB case. I pack my equipment and then pack my clothes on top. It has wheels on one end and a handle on the other. I bungee my duffel to the top and use my backpack as a my carryon. 

bowcase.jpg

nice i am looking at an i series skb i think i will be able to get the small one since i shoot a triax. i plan to do the same thing, pack sharp stuff and gear in the case use my pack as a carry on. what locks did you go with ?

17 minutes ago, Panderus said:

nice i am looking at an i series skb i think i will be able to get the small one since i shoot a triax. i plan to do the same thing, pack sharp stuff and gear in the case use my pack as a carry on. what locks did you go with ?

My case has 2 TSA locks already on it. When I'm flying with a firearm, as in the picture, I made two non TSA cable locks that I attach across the top.

45 minutes ago, Panderus said:

Thanks for all the help choosing a case on the other thread, here is another question. Should I go with TSA locks or regular locks. I'm leaning towards regular ones as I don't trust those bastards and if they want to see inside I'd be happy to open it up. Let me know if there is a reason i should consider tsa locks. also any other tips and tricks for airline travel with a compound bow welcome.  

Same questions I had when flying with the bow. I used these locks on the SKB with no issues...

@$5 bucks each.

Screenshot_20210803-103125_Chrome.jpg

Edited by LPJR

14 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

My case has 2 TSA locks already on it. When I'm flying with a firearm, as in the picture, I made two non TSA cable locks that I attach across the top.

so when flying with a gun you use non-tsa locks. when you fly with a bow do you use only the included tsa locks so they can freely inspect your case or do you also double up ?

TSA takes you and your case into an examination area. You open your case and they inspect everything in it. Then you lock your case in front of the TSA agent. Once at your destination someone will bring you your case. Once you lock your case in front of TSA no one should be able to open it except you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Edited by Woodsman416

(For Firearms) It used to be that that only you would have the key or the combo for the lock, but it looks like they've finally clarified the wording (per the link  inWoodsman416 post). 

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

Regardless, I have only opened up my case for inspection twice for a TSA agent in person.  Usually, in my experience, the bag gets checked and then I get a call from TSA or the gate area gets a call paging me to tell the TSA agent the combo so they can inspect it.  That's why I use combo locks instead of keys, so I don't have to figure out a way to shuttle the key to the agent.

If you go with the small TSA locks.... bring a few extras.  I've found they have a tendency get knocked open and/or otherwise go missing in transit.  Saw it once knock on an edge of the baggage carousel and pop off.  (One time had to scramble to find an open store selling locks on a sunday afternoon to get a lock for a return trip home).   If they have more beefy TSA locks you may want to go with those.  I now use this lock:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTP1Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(again you'll want to bring spares.  One time an American Airlines gate agent said she wouldn't check the bag unless there were two locks on the case... don't know why.  Also, sometimes the TSA agents don't securely put the lock back on and you'll get your case back without the lock.)

Hope this helps

Edited by Bergenguy

Use a TSA lock. I used a non TSA lock flying back from Denver with my bow. When I picked up my case they cut the lock off and taped it to the underside side of the lid. They put a notice in the case that TSA agents used bolt cutters on the lock to inspect the case.